The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Home, road and iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using OmniFocus a bit and I am liking it. I have put my ofocus file on my iDisk and can access it from home (MP) and from the office or the road (MBP). I have tried the web server and the iPhone integration is pretty good.

However, how would you set things up so that I can at any moment access my data on my iPhone while keeping both laptop and desktop happy ? If I leave OF running on my desktop at all (cumbersome, would prefer a separate server process), which is the only machine accessible to the internet, I am sure I can't safely concurrently access it on my laptop.

Ideally there would be a separate iPhone process running on my machine at home that's syncing its data via .Mac Sync Services and that all my copies of OmniFocus would synchronize with. Thoughts ?

I would love this as well, or any method, for that matter, that allows me to take my contexts with my on my iphone that doesn't require my Macbook to be awake somewhere. I LOVE OF but not being able to take it with me is rendering it useless. I even tried printing to 3x5 cards but ended up with a mess. OG doesn't seem to think this feature important, but it's a deal breaker for me. I have even tried workarounds like trying to sync ical tasks to some web based service and accessing it via my iphone's browser, but have not found anything that works. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankomeister View Post
OG doesn't seem to think this feature important, but it's a deal breaker for me.

Just because the feature isn't in the alpha version, I don't think that means OG thinks it's unimportant. In fact, I think the effort they put into hacking together the current partial solution suggests that they think it is important. It's just a matter of priorities. They seem to see Perspectives, Email capture, and Printing as more important. I can understand that, since those are features of the core application. Every potential customer will use the core application. Only some of the potential customers need portable action lists; albeit it's likely a significant percentage of them do. My guess is that Omni is focusing on the core application and waiting to see if task management or applications on the iPhone change with the release of Leopard. I'd hate to see them put significant additional effort into a partial solution, only to find in another month that they can do true task syncing directly to the phone.

edasque, others have suggested the idea of multiple machines running OF simultaneously with data synchronization--search the forums for details. The central issue is that synchronizing independent changes to outlines is an extraordinarily difficult computing problem. The problem is simplified if only one of the machines manipulating the data is allowed to rearrange outlines. So, maybe something like the current iPhone interface could be hosted by an ISP somewhere, with data synchronization back to a master copy of your OF database. But it's unlikely that .mac would support that; it provides a very limited set of web hosting features.

Have you tried using the web interface from your laptop to connect to the running copy of OF on your desktop? That treats your desktop and the OF server and your laptop and iPhone as the clients. You would have limited capabilities on your laptop, but the system would be more stable and perhaps less of a hassle.

Curt

Actually having a hosted version is something I've been pondering. I have a G5 sitting at home, which I could leave on and get at my list over the web. But what a waste of resources! That same G5 could probably host a few thousand people's OF documents.

It's a service I would consider paying for. Of course OG isn't in that business, but I'd like to see them partner with someone who is... Doing it properly would also require a good sync capability built into the application, which we obviously shouldn't expect in this version.

Heck, for that matter, if you've already got a good sync built, then I'd be perfectly happy with a native app on iPhone/iPod that could sync over the net (or by being plugged in). Lack of my OmniFocus is one big reason I don't carry my palm anymore, but I love to be able to replace that functionality with my (forthcoming) iPod Touch.

So, here's to hoping that Apple officially opens the interface, and that OG builds a native OF for it when they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Lack of my OmniFocus is one big reason I don't carry my palm anymore, but I love to be able to replace that functionality with my (forthcoming) iPod Touch.
Why don't you sync your OF tasks to iCal then use Missing Sync to sync from iCal to your Palm? That's the system I use for my Windows Mobile pocket PC and it seems to work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Why don't you sync your OF tasks to iCal then use Missing Sync to sync from iCal to your Palm? That's the system I use for my Windows Mobile pocket PC and it seems to work fine.
Because I want OF, not just a task list. :)