The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Accidental Deletes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I accidentally delete an action, project or context is there an easy way to reverse that (that resembles command Z on a mac)?

If there is not, what is the next best way(s) to restore it? Details are much appreciated, esp if it has to involve syncing.

Thanks for the help. I feel like I'm finally making some headway with figuring out some of the less than intuitive tweaks needed to get OF to where it is genuinely workable for keeping track of GTD for me.

Shake your iPhone to undo the last action.

Wow. Thanks.

I stopped counting the number of strange looks I get when shopping for groceries, my hands full, thumb accidentally checking off some item, and I start to shake my arms to "undo".

I wish there was some other way, but it is not in Omni's control as far as I know, it is the iOS behaviour.

That or an easier way to prevent the accidental completion. Too often I press the button at the top to turn off the screen but either I don't press hard enough, etc. and it stays on.

Your other option has more steps but less arm swinging. Hit the eye icon at the bottom, change the view to All, find the item and uncheck the box. Then switch view back to your usual. If you use this method, it helps to purge completed items occasionally, or the list you're searching through gets pretty long.

It's pretty unlikely that you'll accidentally delete an item in the iOS apps. You might well accidentally complete one (check it off), though. What I find most useful for catching such mistakes is a perspective I call Completed (what an imagination, eh?) which shows items grouped by Completion date. It's pretty easy to spot the accident because it is the first one in the list if you realize your mistake at the time it happens, and reviewing the day's completed actions is a good cross check, too. I don't recall off the top of my head if this is one of the built-in perspectives that you can activate, but the support ninjas can help you activate it, including constructing it for you if it isn't, and you don't have a Mac.

One thing worth noting is that if you accidentally complete something, the best way to incomplete it is with the undo, not by unchecking the box. The reason is that if the item in question repeats, you'll get another copy of it — one was created at the time you accidentally completed it, and another will be created when you complete the uncompleted one. If you instead undo the accidental completion, the newly created one will be removed and events will unfold as intended. If this isn't possible (because you've done a bunch of other work since the accident) hunting down the new repeating action and deleting it plus unchecking the accidentally completed one will work also.