The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do you recognize yourself? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Click image for larger version

Name:	546686_604494461634_54301651_31651956_1954079698_n.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2361

Well, I do. Unfortunately.

Anyone that have a good suggestion how to get out of this habit? Of course it's only discipline that's the key here...

For me it's only one way out: set work hours within work hours and do the next actions out of my lists. Tired or not, during that set hours I work. The same story @Home. It's easier to say I'm tired and surf the net or watch tv then to do something useful. So I decided to try the same approach like @work, at least it worked there :)

Good points Eugene.

It's all very logical, actually. But sometimes too hard to do.

If that doesn't help I have a trick that makes it all :)

Let's say it's 10am. You are at work and it's your scheduled work time for making calls (@Call context). You open your @Call action list. You know there's nothing super important there, just plain work you used to have.

You take the first next action and read through. 'Call Mr. Business Partner: discuss hiring of mr. Superior Sales Manager'. You tell to yourself: 'Hmm. He's too busy to bother him with such a stupid thing. He would bark at me. I'd better think myself'. And so you want to skip that next action. And here's the trick goes.

That's oK. Allow yourself to skip it and delete from your list!

But write down to your inbox the reason you skipped it. Now work on the reason, don't defer it to your processing time! Why didn't you do it? You thought you partener was busy. You thought he would bark at you. You decided to skip the action because you thought he was busy? Isn't it silly not to act because you just thought something would happen? Are you a futurologist who knows and predicts the future?!

Usually I prefer to do a next action right there because afraid to (1) delete it and (2) because the reason for not doing is just my imagination of the future. Nobody knows the future!

Try it and let me know. Must help!

I would like to add here :)

Just had a scheduled hour of @Home context. Man, it was tough. I setup Apple TV that I bought 6 months ago :) I needed to connect it to my system that assumed taking out the receiver, finding HDMI cable etc. I ended up with connected AppleTV to my TV through the receiver. And I still need to find a UK-Euro socket converter (the AppleTV was bought in UK), then power it up, make settings etc.

I just wanted to say that Home is a never ending project. The same as work. You finish one action and it pulls another. You finish one project and it pulls another or have to happen in a while.

It's tough for people who think (aka depressive people) to do something because they see no reason behind that. There're a few ways out: do nothing or do something. The more you do (or don't do) the more you are motivated to do the same. It means the more you move and do the more you are motivated to move and do.

Now how would you like your children to see you. Old and depressive parent or active and optimistic, supporting them only by your outlook? I would like to be optimistic and supportive in their eyes. It means I have to move and do instead of sit and watch.

Eugene! I love what you said above. It is very motivating in a tough love kind of way. Just so you know I actually registered to the forum just to tell you this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelixace View Post
Eugene! I love what you said above. It is very motivating in a tough love kind of way. Just so you know I actually registered to the forum just to tell you this!
Thanks for the compliment! When moving, it becomes easier to move. On the other hand it becomes harder to stop. If you are a lazy type of person and decided to become more active don't forget to be lazy :) Spend time sitting and watching the results. That's called the Balance of life!