The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

nitpicky dilemma with new project creation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I see two ways of creating a new project from the inbox, and both leave something to be desired. Either ...

1) I create a new project via the "Cmd-Rtn" method, in which case the "name" field becomes the first action of a new project at the root level of my planning hierarchy, which then must be moved to the right folder ...

or ...

2) I create a new project by dragging the inbox item to the correct location in the planning hierarchy right off the bat, but in that case the "name" field becomes the project name ... and I have to leave the inbox to go set the first action.

Neither method seems "right" or "wrong" compared to the other, but both methods require extra steps that annoy me. In either case, you actually can't finish creating a new project without leaving the inbox, going to the new project, and tweaking it. This forces either a cleanup job after processing your inbox, or a somewhat erratic back-and-forth between the inbox and the new projects.

Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about? Comments?

I worked around this by creating a perspective that displays my Inbox in a smaller, separate window. When I have several new actions in the Inbox that need to be arranged in projects, I open this perspective so I can see everything at once and drag items between windows.

It doesn't really solve the issue but it's an idea.

Thinking about this more, I'm not sure what you mean by the "Cmd-Rtn method". That key combination doesn't seem to do anything for me.

But one other option is to outdent selected items from the Inbox with Command-[.

You could even select multiple items in the Inbox, create a group around them with Command-Option-L, name the grouping, then outdent the grouping to make it into a project containing the actions. It still appears at the root level of the planning hierarchy, but at least it already contains all of the actions.

With Command-4, you could then switch to the sidebar and use Control-Command-up/down arrows to move the new project within the hierarchy.

Hmm, looks like there might be a bug here too. After using Command-4 to get out to the sidebar, I can move the selected project up with Control-Command-up arrow, but OmniFocus gives me an error when I try to move it down with Control-Command-down arrow. I'll log a bug report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Hmm, looks like there might be a bug here too. After using Command-4 to get out to the sidebar, I can move the selected project up with Control-Command-up arrow, but OmniFocus gives me an error when I try to move it down with Control-Command-down arrow. I'll log a bug report.
Sorry to wander off-topic, but I wanted to clarify my earlier post. After looking at this error more closely, it appears as if the problem is that both the new, outdented project and the Inbox are selected. So trying to move them with Control-Command-Up/Down Arrow results in an error because the Inbox cannot be moved, which makes sense. I didn't realize the Inbox was still selected earlier.

Strangely, with the new project and Inbox selected, OmniFocus only reports an error when trying to move down with the key combination. No error is reported when moving up.

Anyway, I sent feedback to Omni Group, so they can decide if this warrants any kind of attention.

Again, sorry for the interruption in this thread.

Thanks for all your input, Toadling. (I feel weird calling you 'Toadling.' Strange mental imagery. :)

Quote:
I worked around this by creating a perspective that displays my Inbox in a smaller, separate window.
That definitely helps.

Quote:
Thinking about this more, I'm not sure what you mean by the "Cmd-Rtn method". That key combination doesn't seem to do anything for me.
It functions in the context of setting the project. When you start typing in the project field, you have the option of either typing return to select OF's best match, or typing command return to use what you've typed so far as the name of a new project. Very handy ... except for the dilemma I've described!

Quote:
You could even select multiple items in the Inbox, create a group around them with Command-Option-L, name the grouping, then outdent the grouping to make it into a project containing the actions.
Also handy, did not know about that one.

Quote:
Again, sorry for the interruption in this thread.
No worries, mate. Not much of a thread to interrupt so far!

Anyone else got any workarounds for this UI dilemma? Anyone just agree that it's an issue? I'm trying to decide if it's worthy of reporting to Omni.

Quote:
Quote:
You could even select multiple items in the Inbox, create a group around them with Command-Option-L, name the grouping, then outdent the grouping to make it into a project containing the actions.
Also handy, did not know about that one.
Even better, Shift-G does the same, requiring fewer fingers and brain cells.