The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Best and Worst of OmniFu Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo
cognitional dischord
Do you mean cognitive dissonance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Case:
The visual association to the columns underneath is too strong and as the items of the view-bar have nothing to do with the contents of the columns this is most irritating.
A different solution might be to move them down to the bottom of the window. No more column-header-association.

See, I don't get this type of problem because the filter bar items are different widths than the columns of task data. I like having them up top, but I think they need to be more distinctive, and highlight which filters are active better.

I've had my mitts on OmniFu for 24 hours now, having previously used iGTD for as my management tool. I must admit that I did have some initial misgivings as I had got used to iGTD's very handy drop dock interface as well as the equally good menu bar access link. I found this great from the point of view of being able to move emails into my inbox without even thinking about it (and so out of my mind).

I do like the OmniFu quick entry box but it just requires that extra bit of work (usually copy and pasting) to get tasks in to my view but as extra development takes place, I'm sure this operation will get much more seamless. For the time being I'll reserve judgement on 'Clean Up'.

Hitting return twice when throwing together a list, can be a pain and I probably haven't yet configured my folders, projects and sub projects in the best way as yet (including the best way to name them so I get something meaningful in Context view), but other than this, it really is a gorgeous looking and intuitive product.

The 'Focus' and 'Inspect' options really are winners. Just using the former for one day whilst I did some web development just enabled me to feel that much more, well, focussed!! I also like the options available to me in inspect and I'm sure the Review tool will prove a boon in the weeks to come.

Despite the wait to test, I didn't think I'd be so easily swayed but I'll certainly be sticking with it from now on.

I am apparently the only person here who thinks the view bar doesn't look even remotely like column headers (they look like buttons and they don't even line up with the columns of data below them and they're a different color with a different type style) and I am apparently the only one who thought the name "filter bar" was just fine especially since everyone keeps calling them filters anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP
I am apparently the only person here who thinks the view bar doesn't look even remotely like column headers (they look like buttons and they don't even line up with the columns of data below them and they're a different color with a different type style) and I am apparently the only one who thought the name "filter bar" was just fine especially since everyone keeps calling them filters anyway.
Nope. I'm with you too. But I was using OmniFocus when the only columns were action, project/context (depending on view), and estimated time (I think it was there...); it might be more confusing for more recent arrivals. Still, it seems that a quick look would convey that the filters and columns are not directly related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
Still, it seems that a quick look would convey that the filters and columns are not directly related.
Well, it seems to me part of the problem here is (a) the lack of actual column headers and (b) the presence of the "Unsorted" drop-down on the filter bar.

In fact, the mixing of filtering with sorting/grouping seems ill-advised in general.

While Spotlight does mix the two in its show-all-hits window (Group by/Sort Within Group by/When/Where -- when & where are filters, group/sort are not), there's a specific reason for that: different groups have different layouts. In particular, images aren't shown in columns, so sorting by column header doesn't really work.

On the other hand, I can't really think where else you would put a grouping option, other than with the filtering options -- you probably don't want to hide the grouping functionality behind a modified click of a column header.

But the Spotlight window does provide an alternative UI for this kind of filtering, one that doesn't look like a column header, and one that doesn't require as many clicks. (I shudder to hear myself pointing to Spotlight for any sort of UI recommendation, but there you are.)

One possible problem with having column headers comes to mind though: the group (and project) headers span the columns, potentially making it a bit harder to follow the columns. But I don't think it would be so bad, especially in light of the advantages of column headers.

So two alternative ideas:

1) Keep the view bar, but remove the sorting button and add column headers below the view bar.

2) Get rid of the view bar and add an inspector/drawer/Spotlight-like-side-panel for filtering. And add column headers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel
I dislike:
• difference between folders-projects-tasks
I have to second this, largely because it seems at odds with GTD, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how OF intends this to work.

Strictly speaking (according to GTD), if it's more than one step, it should be a project. So what's the idea behind tasks/subtasks? Why a different abstraction?

(I also miss the color-coding of overdue tasks.)

I'd post some bests, but I'm still wrestling with some disorientation trying to move my tasks from iGTD. The UI in OF is certainly prettier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc
So two alternative ideas:

1) Keep the view bar, but remove the sorting button and add column headers below the view bar.

2) Get rid of the view bar and add an inspector/drawer/Spotlight-like-side-panel for filtering. And add column headers.
I'm not clear on your objection to the Sorting button in the view bar. Is the problem not being able to do multi-column or reversed sorting?

I could live with column headers, but have no need for them--seems like wasted screen space and noise to me. But please don't take away the view bar. It's a beautifully dense and feature packed UI element. I'm tweaking the view settings all the time. The spotlight sidebar wastes a ridiculous amount of screen real estate. Well over half the spotlight sidebar is unused whitespace.

Curt

Personally, I really like column headings. I would like to see a column heading for context, project, start, due, estimated time, etc. While I can remember what each column stands for, I would rather not have to actively think about it. It would be easier for me if the headings were there all the time and not simply when I hover over the line with my mouse.

However, I certainly understand the viewpoint of those that dont like it.

I propose that at interface option be added to the preferences pane. 'Display column headers.' Nice, simple checkbox should do the trick.