The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

We need DXF conversion or an easier way to enter cood's for Stencil's Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I hate to say this but it is freekn unelieveable we can't have a DXF or some kind of simple utility that will allow us to convert some AutoCad / CAD shapes into OG easier. I know there is a detailed way posted somewhere but people, we use Mac's, not PC's. ;)

How about a way to import a DXF file so that file can be shaded and stuff just like your guys included stencils?

Talk about being the bomb.

bump because this is important

Bump because this is a feature request. It can't be that bad of an idea with all the CAD programs with great stuff ready to go can it?

Can someone from omni respond to this thread?

I think the creation of stencils are crucial to the success of OG and gratifies the end user. Maybe if we can't do the AutoCad export we can get a stencil maker that would make it easier to create nice stencils.

Having the ability to export AutoCad blocks or snippets would be awesome.

Thoughts from anyone on this?

Guys!
I just ran into project where I need to create a ton of drawings and diagrams, the engineers can give me DXF or DWG files.
Is there a way we can import these??
I really don't want to have to go to a different "less reliable" product.

Danny

There's currently no way to get DXF or DWG directly into OmniGraffle, you'd have to round trip through something like Illustrator and then into OmniGraffle Professional, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
There's currently no way to get DXF or DWG directly into OmniGraffle, you'd have to round trip through something like Illustrator and then into OmniGraffle Professional, unfortunately.
How would I export from Illustrator into OGP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
How would I export from Illustrator into OGP?

Is there a best practice? I know to save as a PDF and then open in OGP. Is that my only solution here?

Either save as PDF and directly open in OmniGraffle Professional, or save as a PDF-compatible .ai file. Text doesn't come in so well, but normal bezier shapes and lines are okay. Illustrator supports open or non-closed shapes, which will come in as a closed bezier shape in OmniGraffle.

Joel, this works quite well. At least if all the ACAD scales are set the same. Thanks for the tip. I can make this work.