The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Different behaviour between grouping and sort Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I create a perspective where I group items by context, the list of actions is sorted by context in the order in which they exist in my sidebar.

However, if I create a perspective where I sort items by context, the list of actions is sorted by context but this time in the alphabetical order of the names of the context.

I think the second behavior is rather strange. If I want to sort my actions by context; I probably want them sorted in the order they exist in the left sidebar. Its even stranger because grouping shows a different, "correct" behavior.

Am I missing something?

Hmmm... I'm seeing something different in my copy of the app. I've got an Ungrouped view that's sorted by Context. The first three items are from my "Mac" context, the next four are from my "Desk" context... it doesn't appear to be alphabetized.

Can you let us know the specific settings the perspective is using? Maybe there's something else going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Can you let us know the specific settings the perspective is using? Maybe there's something else going on here.
This sorts alphabetically:
The perspective is context view, group action by flagged, sort action by context, filtered by status=due soon.

This sorts by the order of sidebar:
The perspective is context view, group action by context, sort action by flagged, filtered by status=due soon

I am using OF 1.8.2 on Mac.

I see the same thing tarun101 reports:

The list is sorted in alphabetical order by context, not by sidebar order.

Personally, I think it makes a bit more sense to do alphabetical order than sidebar order, but I can see the argument for the other.

Aha; it looks like nested contexts are responsible for what I was seeing. Within each branch/level of the tree, the contexts are alphabetized, but an action in a parent context will appear above any actions in the child contexts.

So, "Errands" appears at the top of my list, even though it isn't at the top of the sidebar. Similarly, it's followed by "Errands : Apple Store", even though that context is below "Book Store" in the sidebar.

Feature request for the option to use sidebar order written up, in any case. :-)