The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Actions with Due Date but without Due Time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

i have switched form another GTD app to omnifocus. In this app i had the possibility to define Due Dates without a defined Due Time (GTD conform).
I´m wondering why this is not possible to handle in omnifocus.
Especially when using calendar alarms for some actions this "feature" in omnifocus gets annoying.

Any hint how to realize this?

Thank You

Hi actually not, but you can send an email to the support ninjas, they can add your request to the development database we use to plan our work.

Note, i have send a similar request for the use of the start date for the "tickler"

Mario

anybody figure out a way to add "due dates" without "due time" i.e. all day events?

If something is due on a given day, there is some time in that day by which it is due. What is it that a due date that has no notion of time attached is going to give you that is different from setting the due date to 11:59PM on that day, or possibly 12:01AM? What is a real-life example of something that has only a due date and not a due time?

It's quite simple.
If you are using the calendar sync with notifications for
actions with a specific time it's ok to have a due time.
At the same time there are actions that have to be done
on a due date, but have no given time.
It is no solution to set the time to 0:00 because you will
Be notified in the middle of the night.
Therefore it makes sense to have a due date only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If something is due on a given day, there is some time in that day by which it is due. What is it that a due date that has no notion of time attached is going to give you that is different from setting the due date to 11:59PM on that day, or possibly 12:01AM? What is a real-life example of something that has only a due date and not a due time?
to quote DA, "one of the three uses of a calendar is for day-specific information.... if you have a project that you don't really need to think aobut now but that deserves a flag at some point in the future, you can pick an appropriate date and put a reminder about the project in your calendar for that day. It should go in some day-specific (versus time-specific) calendar slot for things you want to be reminded of on that day..."

so, actually there is A LOT of real-life examples, including reminders for birthdays, anniversaries, contacts, due dates, etc...

Yes, and those day-specific things ought to go on a calendar, which OmniFocus by design is not...

Quote:
At the same time there are actions that have to be done
on a due date, but have no given time.
Then your "due time" is the end of your day, whenever that is. As I said, if an action is due on a given day, there is some time that day by which it is considered due. If you go to sleep or otherwise stop working before the day is over, that is the time it is due.

ok... you must know GTD better than David Allen.

Look, this discussion is about OmniFocus actions, right? OmniFocus is not a calendar. Day-specific items go in the calendar, as the quote (which I've supplied on other occasions in this forum) indicates and which the OmniFocus development team also intends (search for posts from me with the string "calendar" and you should find a link to just such a statement from them). So that leaves us with the question of whether it would be a useful addition to make OmniFocus have a notion of an action with a due date that has no time associated with it. I asked for an example of how such a thing would be useful, but the only thing that has come back are day-specific actions, which we seem to agree belong on the calendar, as DA suggests. And even a day-specific action has a time at which it is due -- it's due when you stop working for the day (or you run out of day), because it isn't going to get done if you aren't working, right?