The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basecamp API & OmniFocus via AppleScript? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi ankushnarula,

Your OmniFocus data will sit (at least now) on the same server where the synchronization with Basecamp runs. All communication between OmniFocus and this server is secured by SSL (https with a trusted certificate). Even the communication after you logged in to Spootnik (to change settings, watch the history, etc) is secured by SSL.

If you have a Plus or Max Basecamp account, the communication between the Spootnik server and Basecamp will be encrypted by SSL, too.

Transparency and security is very important to me. Nothing will be swept under the carpet and all communication will be as secure as possible. Without it wouldn't work. As it's still in private beta I haven't finalized the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy document, yet. But I'm currently working on it. I hope I can put those two document online soon.

Best regards,
Lars

I've been using it for a couple of months now, and it is wonderful. Exactly what I wanted. I've abandoned further work on my Applescript/PHP solution, because Spootnik does everything I wanted to do.

A nice bonus is that it enables me to do things with my Basecamp account that Basecamp won't let me do natively, such as move to-do items between projects. Now I can do the move in OmniFocus and the change syncs over to Basecamp.

Hi Sheldon - I'm also using it quite successfully. Lars has done a great job thus far!

This is great Lars.
But I don't use Basecamp. Do you know of any other solutions?

Keep up the good work :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice comments!

@runard: I'm sorry, but I don't know other solutions yet. What is your alternative to Basecamp?

Lars. How are you generating your 11 char UUIDs for client and task files in the ofocus directory?

Hi ptone, I'm using java.util.UUID which is included in java.

Lars,
I'm about to try Spootnik
I have one additional issue - I need to do - is unite HighRise tasks with Omni Focus and Apple AddressBook...
Have you ever been thinking about it?:)

Hi lithfin,

Thanks for giving Spootnik a try! Yes, I initially thought about bringing Basecamp, Highrise and Backpack to-dos together inside OmniFocus. But the desire wasn't strong enough, yet. But I keep it in my mind. Thanks for the request.

There was an announcement of an application which synchronizes AddressBook and Highrise (http://www.greatascent.com) some time ago. But IMHO it didn't go public.

Best regards,
Lars

I finally started using Spootnik and it is GREAT! Not only does it work like a charm with multiple people/contexts/projects but once you get it set up, it is very simple.

You can build new To-Do lists (Projects) inside of OmniFocus, and they populate right inside of BaseCamp, with the people you assigned to. Pretty damn cool interaction.

I would suggest offering a year subscription or something to keep the $3 a month down to like $30 for a year.

BZ