The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus 2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.
I bought omnifocus to my iPad, and I am currently testing omnifocus for Mac.
Should I buy and hope omnifocus 2 not coming tomorrow?

Not only is it not coming tomorrow, it isn't coming next month, or even the month after that! OmniPlan 2 has been in private beta for a few months, and no doubt will go through a more public beta for a month or so before it actually ships. OmniFocus is still in the development cycle for an OmniFocus 1.x release (but one where the public can download and use it, unlike the OmniPlan 2 beta) which would not make a lot of sense if OmniFocus 2 is going to be available very shortly thereafter. There's also a new release of OmniOutliner in the schedule, and both OmniPlan 2 and OmniOutliner 4 are expected before OmniFocus 2.

If I'm wrong, there are a couple things working in your favor. Omni offers a 30-day money back guarantee, so if OmniFocus 2 ships within 30 days of your purchase, you should be able to get the upgrade for free (assuming they don't charge more for it than for OmniFocus). Also, Omni offers a pretty decent credit for having bought any previous version, usually around 2/3 of the price. If you're buying a tool that you are going to use all the time, it won't take very long to recoup the other 1/3. Let's say you buy it today, and 4 months from now OmniFocus 2 ships (a very aggressive target), with an upgrade cost of $30 (high end of the range). If you can't make yourself $30 more productive in 4 months of using it, it might not be worth buying for $80! In my estimation, it is likely to be more months, and fewer dollars.

Also, having OmniFocus on both Mac and iPad gives you a more powerful system than either alone. See my post here for more details. If you like what you see of OmniFocus for Mac now, you should buy it, rather than waiting for OmniFocus 2.

Thx for the reply.
/M

So how does one get the beta? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
So how does one get the beta? :)
If you are referring to the OmniFocus 1.x beta for Mac that whpalmer4 mentioned, I believe that was OmniFocus 1.9 that has now been released ( I think - I'm happy to be corrected!).

Hope that helps,
Tim

Just for the record; I'm more than happy to give the OmniFocus 2 beta a whirl. I use OmniFocus constantly. My entire team does! It's not going to happen, but man, I would love to give OmniFocus 2 a try. The iPad interface is so much more intuitive than the Mac one when compared. (- : The Omni Group always do an amazing job on UIs!

Tried and really liked OmniFocus 1.9. I'm not entirely sure whether or not to buy as the new version of anything I buy is released within a couple of months!

@divine Could you please buy OF asap, so I can have version 2.0 in a couple of months? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
@divine Could you please buy OF asap, so I can have version 2.0 in a couple of months? ;)
My thoughts exactly.

Haha. I'll give myself a week off, see if I miss it!