The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Future of OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
First off, I was GLAD when I heard this browser was free. I am a hippie when it comes to computers, believe in open source and free internet web browsing, and if anyone ever charges me I'll just use my Safari, Opera or Chrome. So cheers on being free!

Second, having an iPad browser shouldn't distract them from making the desktop one. They have the basic code and design for the browser, tinkering it to be amazing on iPad shouldn't take but a year or two.

Lastly, please, please in the next major version of Omniweb include email, and show all the other guys how it's done. :D

I have used a demo of iCab and there is an Automater script to allows you to
use the Nightly Webkit. Fast Fast Fast!
Can OmniWeb run the Nightly WebKit? this would produce feedback for OW.

Just Asking,
Dan

OmniWeb uses a customized version of WebKit so unfortunately this is not possible.

As a longtime user of OmniWeb, I have been hoping to see news on the release of OW6, or any updates to keep up with the newer releases of Safari.

Is it possible to have any information on whether the work on OW has stopped, or on whether something will be announced/released in the near future?

Thank you.

CA

Other projects need our attention right now; that will likely continue to be the case at least until we finish the rest of our iPad projects. (OmniFocus, OmniOutliner, OmniPlan.)

Before someone hops on and says "OmniWeb is dead!" - that's not what I'm saying. Just that we don't know when we'll work on it next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Other projects need our attention right now; that will likely continue to be the case at least until we finish the rest of our iPad projects. (OmniFocus, OmniOutliner, OmniPlan.)

Before someone hops on and says "OmniWeb is dead!" - that's not what I'm saying. Just that we don't know when we'll work on it next.
Thanks for the update. Maybe we should just start saying OW is in a vegetative state—or at least a coma. ;)

I don't think OW is in vegetative state or coma, I think is on life support.
Sorry to say but I think Omniweb is going down like the Navigator :o(
it couldn't keep up with the other big boys.
I was a paid user, but stopped using OW long ago. Safari and FF, even Opera are way ahead of features and development.
RIP Omniweb we will miss you :o(

I noticed today it is going on a year since Sneaky Peak 5.10.2. I know you guys are busy, as I use your software everyday (and you guys make some of the best OS X software out there bar none!).

Any chance of throwing an old dog an OmniWeb bone? Sneaky Peak .3? Sneaky Peak 6.0.1?

I have used OmniWeb since the days of my NeXT cube and you might just make me give up browsing the web if OW goes away.

The most recent build is from last month...

I too have been a long time user of OmniWeb and regret that it hasn't been getting much attention lately. I'm finding a few websites that don't work in OmniWeb or that work significantly better with other browsers. Unfortunately, that number continues to slowly grow.

Yet I dislike going to other browsers. OmniWeb has spoiled me with the tab drawer down the side of my screen. Spoiled me with being able to set site specific settings. Spoiled me with the way that bookmarks are organized. And spoiled me with a host of other features that I'm just not finding elsewhere.

With the open source extensions that Apple has provided in Safari, if OmniWeb is a product that will face less development time is there any chance that some of these great OmniWeb features could be developed as extensions for Safari? Just a thought to save development time yet please all us loyal OmniWeb fans out here.