The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Where Did the Context Go in 1.5? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Mike, if you add the "no context" context to the selection, you'll get your context column back, at least in the cases I tried. Note that your "Quick Stuff" perspective does have that selected... but it's not terrifically useful, because most of the time you'll actually see the project name under that column heading, not the context! I don't remember it ever being otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Surely that's because a user might want to add a context to the action, right? So it makes sense that the column would appear for items with no context.

Having said that, I really have no objection to the context column being available for any action in context view.

-Dennis
I have no objection either, though I would prefer that it be optional for those of us who work on smaller screens. An option similar to the due date, start date, duration columns would be quite natural, I think...

Quote:
Surely that's because a user might want to add a context to the action, right? So it makes sense that the column would appear for items with no context.

Having said that, I really have no objection to the context column being available for any action in context view.
What I found odd about it appears when actions in context mode are not grouped or sorted by context. Then the no-context items are in the middle of the rest of the items, but have different columns that don't line up. It's poor UI and, I think, a bug.

I agree that an optional context column in context mode for all items would be useful.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
An option similar to the due date, start date, duration columns would be quite natural, I think...
Yes, that's precisely what I had in mind.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
What I found odd about it appears when actions in context mode are not grouped or sorted by context. Then the no-context items are in the middle of the rest of the items, but have different columns that don't line up. It's poor UI and, I think, a bug.
Ah, I see what you mean, Curt. Yes, that is odd.

Maybe if a context column was added, it would resolve this issue. In other words, don't show context at all, even in the "No Context" container, unless the optional context column is displayed. And if it's displayed, show it for all actions, not just the ones in the "No Context" container.

-Dennis

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean, Curt. Yes, that is odd.

Maybe if a context column was added, it would resolve this issue. In other words, don't show context at all, even in the "No Context" container, unless the optional context column is displayed. And if it's displayed, show it for all actions, not just the ones in the "No Context" container.

-Dennis
It would be wonderful if it worked this way! Not really sure how I had the context column there before. I'll do some more digging. Trying to get used to this new view for now.

Someone should log this Omni Group via Help -> Send Feedback. Or has someone already done that?

-Dennis

Reference this bug if you send in a request.

<bug://bugs/41250> (Request: Add a context column in context view)

Just downloaded the nightly build today and context columns are back! This is so wonderful. Thanks so much for the quick work!!

Hi Omni

I also wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU for adding in some more column view features in the latest build! This made my morning! :)