The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Move a repeated task in the following project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a repeated task every month. And every month is a different project.
For example I have "task x" for January. When I complete the task, it appears with a new due date but always in the January project, and I have to move it manually to February. Is there a way to have an automate move to the next project?
Thanks
Stefano

Is your monthly project a repeating project, or do you enter them by hand? Why not bundle all of your monthly tasks into a template using Curt Clifton's Populate Template Placeholders script here, make the tasks not repeat, and just stamp out new monthly projects as you need them? Or, maybe not have a monthly project at all (what is the goal of your monthly project?) and file those repeating actions according to what they are? For example, instead of having a project called August 2009 which includes actions to pay the water bill, pay the electric bill, etc. have a bill paying project or single-action list which has monthly repeating actions to pay the water bill, pay the electric bill, etc.

Yes, I think probably what you're looking for is to set the project to repeat. You probably want to set it to be complete when you complete the last item. The one downside is you'll have to make sure that you complete all of the actions (or otherwise mark the project complete) or it won't create a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Yes, I think probably what you're looking for is to set the project to repeat. You probably want to set it to be complete when you complete the last item. The one downside is you'll have to make sure that you complete all of the actions (or otherwise mark the project complete) or it won't create a new one.
One advantage of using the template to stamp out the next copy is that it doesn't matter if you have actually completed all of the previous month's actions. You can put in a whole year's worth at once if you want, giving you the opportunity to see future actions that wouldn't be present with a repeat scheme, though balanced against that is the need to edit each one you've created if you decide you need to make a change in your list of tasks.

Thanks fo the help. Because I edit a music magazine, for each project/month I have some repeating tasks and some not, so every month is different, I'll check the script. Thanks!