The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick capture keyboard shortcut ? [A: iOS doesn't support this kind of feature.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
NOTE: I DON'T own an iPad.. I was wondering if this is even possible.

A similar shortcut like on OF for the Mac. I know you can add a "inbox" shortcut as an link on the home screen... but hitting crtl+spacebar when you have a wireless keyboard setup could save me personal a ton of time. :)

iOS is very secure, but some of the measures that provide that security involve restricting the sort of cross-app communication that Quick Entry depends on to function.

This is the kind of thing we can add on OS X, but it's not possible to provide similar functionality on iOS devices. Sorry.

Is there any keyboard shortcuts available while inside the OF app ?

Caveat - I am not an engineer; everything that follows may be incorrect or outdated. :-)

That said, my understanding is that iOS has a short list of keyboard events that OmniFocus can receive and respond to.

The keyboard events that iOS offers handle things like text entry/selection/formatting in a given text field, but it doesn't give us the option to define our own arbitrary shortcuts. We'd need that in order to do quick entry via the keyboard. Sorry.

Tado, here's an article that lists keyboard shortcuts. Be sure to read the first comment, which includes the "EMACS" keyboard shortcuts. Not every one of the shortcuts listed necessarily makes sense in OmniFocus, but most of them do.

http://gigaom.com/apple/ipad-keyboard-shortcuts/

Thanks for the link !
Does anyone if "Tab" works... to get to the nest text field ?

No, tab does not advance to another field. In OmniOutliner for iPad, tab will indent a row under the previous row.

The time I've spent using the hardware keyboard has mostly been when I had a bunch of sustained typing to do. Typing on the keyboard interspersed with frequent screen touches is annoying, and not worth the trouble for me. Your mileage may vary.