The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Duration not to be connected to working hours Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I am using OP 2.01. I have a project (opening a hotel) in the future. Iam working backwards from that date.
I want to use the duration of each single task not based on a work week but on normal 24 hours days. Let's say today in 7 days I have to order something. So I need OP to let me enter 7 days which is for me exactly one week. Whenever I try this, the start and end date in the Chart doesn't reflect this correctly. I tired already everything and it drives me nuts.

Any ideas.

Thanks a lot.

you need to increase the 'normal work week' times you can find in the calendar tab to 24 hours, 7 days. But be careful what you wish for. If you put a task for someone to do that takes 10 hours, OP of course expects, that it will be finished on 1 day, because your project (and all its resources) work 24/7.

Hello,

I have set up a task with a duration of let's say 7 days. In the chart the period between start date and end date is not 7 days. I really need to put the duration on 7 days and would like to have it counted as full 7 days and not to be related to any work calendar.

Example: I want to put a task today on Tuesday and finish in 7 days exactly on Tuesday next week. How does this work?

Can anybody help?

OmniPlan won't expect that 10 hour task to be done in 1 day if it is assigned to a resource that works less than 10 hours per day. If you move the project schedule to be 7x24, you do have to go through and adjust the working hours of your resources to reflect their true availability.

I know it is a headache to actually list the things you tried, but saying you tried everything doesn't help anyone help you. "Well, yeah, he says he tried everything, but he can't get something I know works to work, what should I throw out as my first guess for him to try?"

You'll probably also want to have a look at the values of the Effort Unit Conversions, which are what OmniPlan uses to convert bigger units into the units it actually uses internally. The default values assume a 40 hour work week, and if you say that a task takes 1 week, it treats that just as it would if you say that the task takes 40 hours. That most likely isn't correct in your scenario! You need to be a bit cautious when you wander away from the standard work week or the results may not be what you expect! It can be safer to use the smaller units to be certain that OmniPlan is interpreting things in the same way you are. For example, Tom says some programming assignment is going to take him a week, but he usually works weird hours, or maybe he only works part-time. Might be better to enter that duration or effort as the number of hours he expects to spend on it rather than to assume that the project's definition of how many hours there are in a work week matches Tom's.