The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A question for the pros Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new convert to OmniFocus (from Things), and in general, I am really loving the increased flexibility this program offers me. I do have one usage question, however. I have a list of several of my projects (and all the tasks therein) that need to be completed in order for my husband and I to start a family. Most of these are related to home renovations. I am wondering if you have any thoughts on how I could tag these as, say, "pre-baby" (or differentiate them somehow from other projects). It's really important that I flag these somehow because there are many renovation projects that can wait, and I want to make sure I'm prioritizing all the things that need to be done before we start our family.

I am using flags for tasks that must be completed on the present day, so I can't really flag these issues, per-se. I also already have a folder structure in place, and have assigned the appropriate contexts to the tasks, so these options aren't really available either. So what's left?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!
Cheers!

You can use the notes field of the projects and/or actions to place a unique identifying mark of some sort not likely to be otherwise encountered in your database, such as "PRE-BABY-PROJECT". Then, you can search for that same string with the search field in the toolbar to pull up all the matching projects/actions, and save a perspective to make that view easily accessible.

Will you be using OmniFocus to plan the actual, um, starting of your family? You should check out the "XYZ's story: OmniWhatever" postings recently on the Omni blog at http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/, maybe you could be the highlighted OmniFocus user :-)

That's fantastic! I've used the notes function but I didn't know you could search by it. :)

As to your question... honestly, I hadn't really thought about it! I was more concerned with making sure all the right projects get done first. I'll check the posts you recommended.

Thanks again! :)