The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poor upload speed cmp to FF and Safari Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I have a fiber internet access with which I pay for and use a 10/10 Mbit/s (10 up and 10 down) symmetric internet connection. It is possible to have up to 100/100 for a higher fee, but I settled for a speed that saves me some money and yet provides a nice experience.

The thing:
When I test my internet bandwidth against a test site at http://www.bredbandskollen.se/ with OmniWeb, Safari and FireFox all the three browsers consistently get download speeds at about 12 Mbit/s. That's fine. After all, I only pay for 10 Mbit/s and the consistency between the three browsers indicates at least that the browsers in use doesn't effect the result much.

But for the upload speed test OmniWeb crawls compared to the two other browsers. I get an amazingly nice 22 - 28 Mbit/s upload speed result with both Safari an Firefox. I've done all tests I mention in this post many times. OmniWeb has never got above 5 Mbit/s and I would estimate it averages at about 4 Mbit/s. That is about 1/5 or 1/6 of the Safari and the Firefox result. Really poor is the right wording I guess.

An observation: When I do the test with OmniWeb and looks at the messurement figures continuously rendered at the test web page during the test I see how things get slow.

Test site: http://www.bredbandskollen.se/
Press Starta Mätning and it should be obvious.

Using this stuff:
Product: OmniWeb-5.10
Tag: OmniWeb/5.10.1/GM-v622.10
Date: 2009-08-28 16:42:14 -0700
Builder: rachael
Host: tb104i.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 118169

System Version: Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 (9L34)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
Boot Volume: MacOSXRAID
Boot Mode: Normal

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G4
Model Identifier: PowerMac3,6
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Processor Speed: 1 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1,5 GB