The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.5 Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Maybe he's talking about renaming contexts in the sidebar of context mode on the main window?
No, I was talking about perspective names in the Perspectives window.

However, I should have been more precise: if I have already selected a perspective name, then clicking on it and waiting allows me to edit it. If I have not selected that perspective, then I do have to click a second time.

That is exactly how selection from a list is supposed to behave in OS X. Try it in the Finder (or Path Finder), or in iTunes (e.g. the name of a song). If clicking on a list element that was not already selected took the user into edit mode, there would be a lot of accidental renaming going on!

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. I use the perspectives window exlusively for editing perspectives. If I want to switch/open a perspective, I select it from the menubar or toolbar or use a key combination. So I do a lot more renaming in the perspective window than I do launching.
I would say the usual UI paradigm for double click is "open"/"launch"/"action" but not "rename".

Try the OmniWeb Workspaces panel, it is like the older brother of OmniFocus's Perspective window and there the "click, wait, click"-renaming works very well (as least as good as in the already mentioned Finder) and is imho not significantly slower than the double-click.

Last edited by Schlaefer; 2008-06-21 at 12:09 PM..

I would really like it if OmniFocus' dated tasks were treated like calendar items with proper reminders. OmniFocus is the one and only place I put stuff I need to remember to do, and popping up an easily-ignored and quickly fading Growl notification just doesn't cut it at all. If something's due, I want OmniFocus to ensure I notice so I don't miss my deadline!

DING DING DING DING DING!
Time to Make the Donuts! Wakey Wakey!
DING DING DING DING DING!

Then have the usual array of snooze/reset the due date/whatever.

Having it work like Entourage wouldn't be bad at all. Put up a list of reminders that I can one-by-one reschedule and deal with -- maybe even have the list appear in something not-unlike the Quick Entry window for easy editing.

Last edited by iNik; 2008-06-21 at 01:11 PM..

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. I use the perspectives window exlusively for editing perspectives. If I want to switch/open a perspective, I select it from the menubar or toolbar or use a key combination. So I do a lot more renaming in the perspective window than I do launching.
Ah, I tend to use the Perspectives window like a palette, and cycle through a bunch of perspectives. The window keeps the current spot in the list marked, which I wouldn't get using the menu, toolbar or key combinations. How often are you renaming perspectives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The window keeps the current spot in the list marked, which I wouldn't get using the menu, toolbar or key combinations.
FYI: If you use the toolbar, the currently selected perspective stays "depressed" so you know that you're in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
No, I was talking about perspective names in the Perspectives window.

However, I should have been more precise: if I have already selected a perspective name, then clicking on it and waiting allows me to edit it. If I have not selected that perspective, then I do have to click a second time.
I'm sorry, but I can't get this to work, no matter where I click or wait. The only time I get it is if I click the second click fast enough that if I'm doing it in the Finder, it opens the file (interprets it as a double-click).

Quote:
That is exactly how selection from a list is supposed to behave in OS X. Try it in the Finder (or Path Finder), or in iTunes (e.g. the name of a song). If clicking on a list element that was not already selected took the user into edit mode, there would be a lot of accidental renaming going on!
Hmm, I do NOT get the same behavior in iTunes clicking on names that I do in the perspectives window. However, it sounds like we might be agreeing that the behavior I see in iTunes (double-click plays the track, two slower clicks allows editing the track name) is how the Perspectives window ought to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
FYI: If you use the toolbar, the currently selected perspective stays "depressed" so you know that you're in it.
Thanks for pointing that out; I'd forgotten about it. I have enough perspectives that they won't all fit at once. Wouldn't work well if I didn't have the toolbar displayed, either!

The actual behavior as implemented in 1.0 isn't nearly as damaging to my productivity as discussing the potential for improvements is proving to be :-)

ok - first I want to say it's great to find this thread - I don't feel alone anymore :)

second, this thread is HUGE - has someone transferred this to a change request system already? has Omni Group made an interface to this system public? ;-)

third:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
15) The ability to have iCal entries as events rather than to dos, with the ability to assign alarm(s) by default. This is important for phone synching reasons, where to do support is very limited in some phones.
I +1 this request - many next actions are powerfully in existence as events (assuming you relate to your calendar as set of commitments)

This feature would support David Allen's recommendation in regards to how to create a "day specific next action" in your system. (related thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarut View Post
has Omni Group made an interface to this system public? ;-)
Yes, yes we have. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
ok - i suppose I wasn't specific about the word "interface" :)

any chance you have things sorted out like the Mozilla folks?

It would be really great to see what is getting high priority and what's not.

I thought Trac was pretty neat in regards to how you could see what was planned in a future release - however, I can't say I've kept up recently in regards to how well it's working for peope but I digress!