The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF in relationship to iCal on my iMac G5 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My iPhone syncs just fine with MobileMe and visa versa. Neither will sync with my desktop iCal. Apple support cannot figure the problem out so I will keep trying for resolution.

In the meantime, if I begin using OF, am I going to be perpetuating long term problems or adding complications to the iCal desktop syncing problem? Will I have to redo all my OF entries at some point?

I have the next two years of tasks and calendar events in my iPhone and MobileMe that are pristine. I don't want to have to start over entering everything if possible and I would like to purchase a licensed copy of OF for my G5 and iPhone.

But it seems like it might make more sense to wait until Apple figures out why no syncing will work to or from my iCal desktop (Error message always reads "Calendars failed."

Thoughts or feedback?

Thank you.

Grant

Last edited by gwhiesterman; 2008-08-27 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: I am trying to find "POST"

You do realize that you don't have to enable iCal sync in OmniFocus, right? No need to involve iCal at all.

iCal sync doesn't even work with a fresh user on your desktop?

Yes, I realize I do not have to involve iCal with OF. It was my impression that work items/tasks/next actions from OF could also sync with iCal. Maybe I misunderstood.

Anything that I put into iCal on my desktop is there and only there. It won't sync with Palm, MobileMe, or iPhone.

All entities are enabled to sync. We have used the Advanced MobileMe features to PUSH all data to desktop and replace it to no avail.

We deleted iCal .plists and caches -- Two calls to Apple support for 1 hour each with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granth39 View Post
Yes, I realize I do not have to involve iCal with OF. It was my impression that work items/tasks/next actions from OF could also sync with iCal. Maybe I misunderstood.
No, you didn't misunderstand. But if you have OF syncing with mini-OF on the iPhone, I'm not sure what you need OF to sync with iCal for, as the primary reason for that feature seemed to be to allow some compatibility with other devices that sync with iCal. OF currently only sends ToDo entries to iCal, not actual calendar events ("meet with Joe in conf rm. B" @ 10:00AM Tuesday, 2 hours). So, in my opinion, you aren't missing anything important by leaving that feature turned off, especially given that your iCal sync with MobileMe doesn't work!

Quote:

Anything that I put into iCal on my desktop is there and only there. It won't sync with Palm, MobileMe, or iPhone.

All entities are enabled to sync. We have used the Advanced MobileMe features to PUSH all data to desktop and replace it to no avail.

We deleted iCal .plists and caches -- Two calls to Apple support for 1 hour each with no success.
I'm surprised they didn't want you to try the fresh user approach. That's been a pretty frequent tactic when I've had sync problems in the past with .Mac and MobileMe. Hopefully, they'll get to the bottom of it for you sooner rather than later!