The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.7 Sneaky Peeks now available. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With this new much to dark icon bar many icons in many applications look awkward in Leopard. It's not easy, but I clearly don't want to see metal buttons like in Safari in every App from now on.

The pro icons with their white, desatured appearance are fine, but I agree that the color icons look a little bit oversimplified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
It's not easy, but I clearly don't want to see metal buttons like in Safari in every App from now on.
I agree. I don't really like those metal buttons in safari too much.

The new OW icons are quite nice, IMO. However, it you're going to have a "home" button, please make the browser have a "true" home page which is not the same thing as a start page.

In other words, I might want new windows to open blank, but I still want Google as my "home" page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
I don't know... am I the only one who thinks the new icons look sort of washed-out?
I like the graphite version of the buttons, to me they look unobtrusive and professional. But I would agree with you that the colored icons look washed-out, as you said.

I'm looking at the graphite buttons... contrast is an issue. I also have to look more closely at the buttons to see what they are. Before I could tell by color as well as shape.

FWIW, the Leopard folder icons are horrible. I bet they change. On my 2.33 MBP, I can't even tell what some of them are with my face over the keyboard.

At the moment, I really dislike them, but I'm going to give them a while to see if they grow on me. They just feel like no other app on OS X - which may have been the intention (and isn't a bad thing), but they don't sit right for me at all.

i dislike the new icons. i am still using 10.4 (and will be for a while, because leopard won't install on my iBook G3 600 MHz).
i can't really imagine how they look in 10.5, but they seem just too simple. they look somehow XP-like.

I'm liking the new icons. They're different, but different can be good. If OW wants to stand out, it's ok to have different icons.

One thing I can guarantee -- there's going to be no way to please everyone.

Last edited by Handycam; 2007-11-09 at 03:44 PM..

Does your icon-designer use Windows XP or Mac OS X ? -.-

I've lived with them for a few days now, and I'm sorry to say, I like them even less.

My feedback:
- They don't follow any style or convention on OS X. If you think "What would Panic do?" it certainly wouldn't be this.
- The detail within them is very pale and indistinct. The History, Downloads and Page Info in particular
- I do like the 'bigger/smaller' text icons as they don't have the above 2 issues, shame I never have these in my toolbar.
- Back/Next/Reload & Stop are at least easy to see what they are at a glance, as the have a strong outline, that also echoes the previous icons
- A lot of the icons ('Find on Page' in particular) look clumsy and a little childish.

Please Omnigroup, rethink this approach.

I'm assuming the bookmarks bar is something that's going to be white until 6.0? Is there not a way to get that to take on a darker shade when on Leopard?

And count me in against the new icons.