The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rich text notes. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So I'm pleased to see the web interface progressing nicely, and a few other ui improvements - but one feature that hasn't seen any apparent progress has been the rich text notes.

I figured this would have been a quick and dirty feature to pull from OO, but still nadda. I've thought of this as a key feature from the get-go since so many tasks have additional information associated with them. It also seems quite key for many of the integrations that people would like to see (mail, web, etc) - and would certainly make scripting said integrations that much easier.

Yes, I know it's on the road-map, but I'd like to throw in my vote for bubbling it up the priority list. While the web interface is certainly cool, it's bang for the development buck strikes me as likely much less than the rich text notes (plus many more of us can use it than a jesusPhone interface :) ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaverfugue
So I'm pleased to see the web interface progressing nicely, and a few other ui improvements - but one feature that hasn't seen any apparent progress has been the rich text notes.

I figured this would have been a quick and dirty feature to pull from OO, but still nadda. I've thought of this as a key feature from the get-go since so many tasks have additional information associated with them. It also seems quite key for many of the integrations that people would like to see (mail, web, etc) - and would certainly make scripting said integrations that much easier.

Yes, I know it's on the road-map, but I'd like to throw in my vote for bubbling it up the priority list. While the web interface is certainly cool, it's bang for the development buck strikes me as likely much less than the rich text notes (plus many more of us can use it than a jesusPhone interface :) ).
Hear, hear. While I understand the coolness factor and the potential for bragging rights over some of the other GTD solutions out there, the number of people who will actually use this feature past the "look what I can do with my phone" stage considering it requires not only an iPhone but an always-on, Mac-based server with a fixed IP or DynDNS seems vanishingly small.

Especially when compared to the numbers that are waiting patiently for fundamental features such as rich text notes, useful printing capabilities, a decent UI for Perspectives, Mail integration, etc.

In fact wasn't a web interface specifically mentioned as a feature not to expect for 1.0 while some of these others were? Oh well, I guess the Omniscient ones had to have something to call their own on their shiny new toys. Playtime is over kids, get back to work! ;)

Don't underestimate the power of first-mover advantage, or buzz marketing. Having triumphed over my own iPhone lust for now, I don't particularly care about the web interface either. But Omni would be remiss not to explore the possibility of attaching their cart to the iPhone horse.

But here's hoping that scriptable meta-data for OF items shows up soon!

Curt

I would add my support to this request. The ability to add information to projects and tasks in the form of documents of various types would seem to be a core requirement for OmniFocus to achieve the functionality required before a full release.

Further, the iPhone is not available in the UK so I also have a case of severe envy!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
Don't underestimate the power of first-mover advantage, or buzz marketing. Having triumphed over my own iPhone lust for now, I don't particularly care about the web interface either. But Omni would be remiss not to explore the possibility of attaching their cart to the iPhone horse.

But here's hoping that scriptable meta-data for OF items shows up soon!
Yeah, I hear what you're saying and this does seem like a way to steal back some thunder from one or two other GTD apps which have been in the spotlight recently but considering that by the time OF actually gets released the first wave of iPhone mania will surely have ebbed somewhat. Plus, Omni's web interface doesn't seem to be generating much iPhone related buzz other than in these forums so I'm not sure how successful they've been in hitching that cart. Who knows, maybe once early adopters get bored with Cover Flow they'll go looking for personal productivity beta programs to sign up for and this all could change.

If Omni wants us to forget about the other features and focus on testing the web interface then maybe they need to start an iPhone seeding program for us beta users. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback! Rich text notes are one of our top priorities, and are where we've spent most of our development effort this week. (They're on an unpublished development branch because they're not stable yet, which is why you have yet to see any progress on this front.)

Woohooo. Really enjoying the rich text notes in the current build. Nice. Thanks Omni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliee
Further, the iPhone is not available in the UK so I also have a case of severe envy!!! :)
The web interface doesn't just work on the iPhone... it also works in any browser. Personally I would much prefer to see the Web Interface (so that I can use it on my PC at work) completed as a priority over a feature that is non-essential like notes... but I guess my idea of essential is not the same as yours ;)