The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Odd Review Schedule for New Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have OmniFocus set to default to an every day review schedule for new projects (and this preference has been set for a week or so now). However, I just created a new project and opened the inspector to find the review schedule set to "Review every - 1 - 2". In other words, where it should say "Day" it says "2". See the attachment for an image of what I see.

I left it as is and reviewed the project. But as you can see (the attachment was captured after the review), not only did the "2" stay instead of changing to "Day", the last reviewed updated but the next review didn't.

Any ideas what in the world is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF Review Error.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	2327  

You created that project on your iPad running 1.5, I see :-)

This appears to be the result of the bug we discussed the other day about the day/week/month/year picker for the review interval. And like the other case, it's been fixed, but the fix hasn't made it into a shipping release.

No, actually I didn't create this project on my iPad. I created it on the desktop.

Very interesting...when I made my test projects initially, I was using the alpha build and a default review interval of 1 week (not my usual default, not sure when it got changed) and everything appeared to work correctly. I then switched to the 1.5 build and changed the default review interval and got your failure. Back to the alpha build, it appears it isn't fixed when using your default review interval :-(

OmniFocus for Mac used to allow hours as a unit for the review interval. Apparently I was about the only one who used it, and when the iPad app came out, they opted to remove it as an option, but didn't change the Mac app. The iPad code knows how to display it, but won't let you set it. Somewhere along the line, someone decided to make the Mac version be more like the iPad version, and broke it in the process, as you have discovered. Unfortunately, they apparently didn't tell anyone else about the change in a timeframe and manner that would get the broken change discovered before it escaped into the world. Someone once told me that they didn't like to spend time documenting changes in the release notes because it takes time away from making new software. I'll let you decide whether that "efficiency" pays off.

My problem with this two-fold:
  1. Degradation - It appears that the iPad app has negatively impacted the desktop app in such a way that new projects ignore my default review interval, insert a review interval that isn't even a legitimate option any more, and break the review process in as far as marking a project as reviewed doesn't increment the next review date.
  2. Confidence - Simply put... what else might be broken that is just waiting to rear its ugly head?

Sigh.

I created a new database disconnected from the Omni Sync Server (and the iPhone & iPad) and the issue remains. So it seems that perhaps this issue is not directly related to display issues on the iPad?

In any case... I can work around it by checking all new projects to ensure they review interval is set correctly. Frustrating, but not the end of the world I suppose.

I sent in a similar bug last night.

If I set the default review interval to 1 week in preferences, all new projects have a review interval of 1 day. If I set the preference to 1 month, all new projects have a review interval of 1 week, etc.

I didn't try the preference set to 1 day as I did not want to screw with space time continuum.

Sorry about that. We've got it fixed here, and will include it in the next release.