The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How To Deal with Waiting For Items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have come form using Circus Ponies Notebook.

When I had a Next Action which I needed someone to do something before I could process it I would move that item to a Waiting For page, which would be reviewed regularly.

When the person had done what I needed the item would get moved back to the Next Actions page until I could process the action.

How do you deal with Waiting For item in OF, especially if it was an item that was on a Single Action list? Would you create a project for that item as technically it has become a multi-step project?

That is exactly it. It is a project since it requires more than one step to complete. Setup the project for sequential tasks, created the delegated task, and assign it to a new or pre-existing context (i.e. the person to whom you delegated the task). Then create any additional tasks that you need to perform to complete the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
How do you deal with Waiting For item in OF, especially if it was an item that was on a Single Action list? Would you create a project for that item as technically it has become a multi-step project?
I put 'Waiting For' items in a 'Waiting For' context which is set to 'On Hold' and reviewed regularly. I understand that this is how the Omni people meant to handle 'Waiting For' items. See also this post.

If an item is technically multi-step but not really a full-fledged project (e.g. just two steps) I would probably create a nested action (with the two steps in different contexts).

JP

I have created a Single Action list called Waiting For and from my point of view it provides a better solution for at least Actions from Single Action lists.

I can understand how your system would be better for me in respect to Projects.

Thanks for your response