The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus URL Support -- Community Feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjBezark View Post
Boy, I really agree with mtumi. You guys are wonderful, and we love you; but please keep your eye on the ball. One of the top priorities for OF should be enabling remote access to our data. I want to access my actions from my iPhone; from my laptop on the road; I want my assistant to be able to see and add actions from her computer. The Web Server function is a great start -- can't you get that working first?
I'll respectfully disagree here. I have an iPhone, and I'd love to get remote access to my data, but I actually think that the omnifocus: scheme provides a much more powerful, much more needed aspect of my information management: permalinks.

I find that if I can leave permalinks to items scattered throughout the mix of tools I need to use everyday, then I'm best able to access my data precisely, and quickly. That's more valuable to me than permanent remote access to my data at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
One use case for Perspective URLs would be creating review checklists in OmniOutliner. I could include Perspective URLs in OO that would switch OF to the appropriate perspective. For example, my Morning Review includes looking at three different perspectives: Active Project Review, Urgent Actions, and Important Actions.
I agree that this is a great use case. I'd love to see URLs available for Perspectives. I like the concept of URLs as permalinks, and one of the key concepts to REST (REpresentational State Transfer) is that when I access a URL, I'm given some kind of representation of the state of the resource at the time I accessed it. In the context of a permalink, I can then use the URL as a stand-in for that particular state. So if I can setup a Perspective in OF to represent a particular view of the state of my data, then being able to reference that view is really handy. I can leave a link to my favorite perspectives on a personal wiki, in a note in a document I'm reviewing, or wherever.

Linking to both data and state is really useful feature for tight integration with any number of other systems.

Hello,

I do like the URL functionality, it does have some benefit. But if we're starting an "I want xyz first!" thread, my vote would be better printing support. :)

If we're not starting an "I want xyz first!" thread I apologize.

Quote:
One use case for Perspective URLs would be creating review checklists in OmniOutliner. I could include Perspective URLs in OO that would switch OF to the appropriate perspective. For example, my Morning Review includes looking at three different perspectives: Active Project Review, Urgent Actions, and Important Actions.
Yes, and if you consider modes in with perspectives (which I do), they are almost required. If I have the link omnifocus:///task/bYVEhoVkMQX where will the task be opened - Planning or Context mode?
Currently the default is Planning, but that is going to be wrong in many cases.
d

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesd View Post
Yes, and if you consider modes in with perspectives (which I do), they are almost required. If I have the link omnifocus:///task/bYVEhoVkMQX where will the task be opened - Planning or Context mode?
Currently the default is Planning, but that is going to be wrong in many cases.
d
You can use the "Reveal in other mode" command in this case.

But your point is a good one that we've thought about.

Quote:
One use case for Perspective URLs would be creating review checklists in OmniOutliner.
Yes, I would love to do this as well (I have a couple high-level OmniOutliner files that point to my various other files and web sites, to tie all my stuff together).

Would it make sense to encode the mode in the URL?

omnifocus:///perspective/Available/context
omnifocus:///perspective/Available?mode=context
something like that

Hi!
This thread is a bit older but the best match i could find. Now, is there a way to link to specific OF perspective?
I'd love to use this for linking from OO3 checklists to specific OF perspectives...
Cheers
Silvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorcork View Post
Hi!
This thread is a bit older but the best match i could find. Now, is there a way to link to specific OF perspective?
I'd love to use this for linking from OO3 checklists to specific OF perspectives...
Cheers
Silvan
Perspectives are saved as files in
~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives/
so you could link to those from OO.

Thanks!
I'll test this soon... :)

Works great, yeah!

Now i need a faster machine / speedier OF in order to cut down the coffee time when loading the perspective. ;-)

Cheers