The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NEED assign to multiple Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, I also need to be able to select multi (at least 2) of Contexts. I know tags feature is coming but I will use that for different purposes. Can you just add this feature, please? Whoever need it - will be happy! Whoever doesn't need - will be happy too since they already love omnifocus. Love to add at least @Today and @Week to Contexts. Well, I can see I can use tags in future but for now - I guess I continue use Flagged for @Today. @Week - hem... May be I can create a folder or project.

Last edited by dchen; 2009-08-24 at 05:05 PM..

New update still has no multiple contexts or tagging? I don't get it. Some of us who love OF are not true believers in the GTD way.

Multiple contexts (by way of arbitrary meta-data) were hinted as an OF 2.0 feature.

Curt

An example of a sort of context I use frequently would be Office Depot. There are two locations pretty close to the same distance away. Which one I go to is completely dependent on where I am at during that part of the day. If I could list both Office Depot, MLK and Office Depot, Clackamas as contexts then they would both show up separately on the location finder.

For the time being though, have any of you found a way to handle this sort of situation?

I'm still really hoping for this too. I think it is very much GTD consistent.

I have written several articles for GTDtimes and have never come across anything in my reading of official GTD materials that would suggest that you can't include something in more than one context. If the action can be completed at more than one location or more than one context in a paper based model you would write in on both context cards (pages, etc). With digitally based GTD this seems to be a very natural extension that allows the app to get one more sort of detail out of your mind and into your system so your system, OF, in this case can remind you of when you're in a context where you can complete a next action.

I would think the solution could be as simple as when you select a context on the drop down that it simply puts a check mark by the context you want from the list. You could drop down again to add another context.

I really enjoy this software. I think this would be a big bonus that would make lots of OF users happy.

I should have posted this on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
If I could list both Office Depot, MLK and Office Depot, Clackamas as contexts then they would both show up separately on the location finder.

For the time being though, have any of you found a way to handle this sort of situation?
Perhaps you could create a single Office Depot context and then create MLK and Clackamas sub-contexts beneath it. If you need a specific branch, use one of the sub-contexts. If any branch will do, then use the parent context.

-Dennis

Well that certainly takes care of the situation in my example. I haven't used OF in a while. I completely forgot about using a sub-context. Thanks much, Dennis.

I agree. The program has a lot of potential, but for the price, I hope they will work out some of the bugs (when you change the date of an item, the prior screen may still reference "today" as the date, even though the date was already changed to tomorrow). Some things are oddly missing like the ability to change colors of items on the iPhone (orange is not one of the more legible colors in bright light, yet it appears one is stuck with this color for the all-important due soon screen), an ability to have a screen view on the app home page on the iPhone that says "Today", not just "Due Soon" and item prioritization.

I also like the idea of tags for both contexts and projects. There could be a setting to limit to one tag per item (equivalent to the current system) or many tags per item.

Omnifocus is a great program. The many tags option would allow me to place the same blocking item or general action into multiple projects to allow advancement when the one physical action is complete.

Allowing tags for multiple projects would also allow me to setup a daily project, a weekly project and a monthly project where I could designate actions (or perhaps even projects) that I have as a goal for completing each day, week, or month.

Last edited by fernelius; 2009-10-17 at 06:33 PM..

this subject is extremly valuable, i experience that all the time + i find frustrationg that tasks cannot be tagged from within OF and from an external meta data tagging soft such as Leap.
that could simply solve all the problems at once! we could tag multiple contexts on an action....
a great feature request for me!!