The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omnifocus crashes all the time on iphone 3g Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Anjan, we don't have a problem with you using the boards to express your views about us, our apps, or our competition.

That said, I had to I edit your post to remove offensive language. Express yourself in an appropriate manner, or we will be forced to ban you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Anjan, we don't have a problem with you using the boards to express your views about us, our apps, or our competition.

That said, I had to I edit your post to remove offensive language. Express yourself in an appropriate manner, or we will be forced to ban you.
Ok Brian - Good to know that your boards are open to users than are not infatuated (wonder if that's considered offensive) with OG.

/sarcasm

Joking aside - it took me a while to figure out what was "offensive" in my post and you have to be kidding me to censor that!! So I can't call OmniGroup 'rapacious' for pricing an application in a range of less than 1% of the apps sold in the App Store??? Listen, ban me if you really can't take pointed message commenting on ravenous practices, but please don't grab at straws by jumping on synonyms of perfectly acceptable words/thoughts.

Anjan, OmniFocus has been the top-selling productivity application since it shipped on the iPhone, outselling the $1.99 "to do" application right next to it. You may not appreciate the value of all of the work we put into this application, but it's clear that many of our customers do.

OmniFocus is an application that I expect to use daily for years. Are you really saying that it's worth less than the price of two games that I'm likely only going to use for a few months (if that)?

Yup it's kind of an expensive app, but really how much are we all making hourly here? I bet I make less than most people here, because I just have an entry level job. Even at that OmniFocus costs only a portion of my salary from a single day, so I just paid it and moved on. They do excellent work, and if you've ever lived in Seattle, where Omni is based, well it isn't cheap! I guess silicon valley isn't either, but I digress.

The app only costs as much as a month of Edge data, or $10 less than a month of 3G data.

When I think of the 3G data (I'm still on 2G iPhone) I can either make it sound cheap "That's only $1 a day, people spend more than that on bottled water." or expensive "That's like almost as much as I pay for my home high speed connection!" It's all about perspective, so clear out of the one you're in and take a snapshot of a more optimistic one eh?

But this wasn't supposed to be about pricing anyway, it was supposed to be about the app crashing.

Sorry Omni, that Apple won't pass any useful crash data onto you, nor allow you to push updates fast, handle licensing in your own way (Like being able to bundle OmniFocus desktop and iPhone together for a discount), etc...I think you're doing great work, and now that I've paid for the app ;) I'm in it for the long haul.

That said, the thing that seems to make it crash for me is sync+anything. If I try to do anything while it's syncing, it seems to crash. If I wait for Sync to finish it seems pretty stable.

Also, I know you're working really hard. I'm all for anything that can be done to improve sync speed. My boss has MobileMe, and it's able to sync new calendar events pretty darn quick, so I know with some more time you'll be able to get there...Apple did get a pretty big jump start, after all.

After spending $200-$500 on a phone that requires you to spend at least $70 a month for 2 years...$20 is expensive? And feeling that $20 is expensive justifies writing a review for a product you've never used? I'm starting to see why a program that helps you organize your thoughts and separates tasks into logical contexts doesn't appeal to you.

I have no problem paying the money for the application. I just want it to work when I use it. It seems that whenever there are important things that I need to capture and add an action for the application crashes on me mid way through. I then have to go to the inbox to see whether enough of it was saved for me to edit. I can also make the application crash sometimes just scrolling through the nearby actions and marking some of them complete. I then need to go back in and see how many it remembered and how many I need to re-mark (and hope it doesn't crash again). I would say it crashes about half the time I use it :(

My entire database is pretty small, maybe 100 items max. Again, the money isn't a problem for me, I would have happily paid double for the functionality, I just am just frustrated that I can trust it to keep running when I need it.

pslade: We hear your frustration about the crashes. We've fixed some of them in 1.0.2 and we're also adding a mini CrashCatcher to make it easier to report whatever crashes are still happening. That'll help us find and fix them more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Anjan, OmniFocus has been the top-selling productivity application since it shipped on the iPhone, outselling the $1.99 "to do" application right next to it. You may not appreciate the value of all of the work we put into this application, but it's clear that many of our customers do.

OmniFocus is an application that I expect to use daily for years. Are you really saying that it's worth less than the price of two games that I'm likely only going to use for a few months (if that)?
Ken,

I can see the point you are trying to make but you have to understand that the expectations of a fair priced, well made software is something we have come to expect of Omni. When you have severe issues like I'm reading on this forum, even after the update, I don't think its worth spending the $20 on. Come to think of it, are you compensating users for their loss of data/time? Or there is no implied punitive effect of releasing an obviously beta level software?

I hate making direct contradiction to claims but Ken you are waaay off the mark to claim Omnifocus as the top productivity app. I see that listed at #23. The following substitute apps (can be possibly used instead of OF except it doesn't sync with Desktop OF) are ahead of you -
  1. YouNote (Free)
  2. Evernote (Free)
  3. Evernote (Free)
  4. Zenbe Lists (Free)
  5. To Do (Free)
  6. reQall (Free)
  7. DoBot Todos (Free)
  8. EasyTask Manager (Free)
Point to note is that none of these apps (and others like OF, Things, ToDo) are ready for prime-time. They are unreliable and are causing severe problems for users that relied on them. I manage software development so don't think I don't understand the complexity of software engineering. But there is some inherent responsibility when you are charging for your product - A SLA if you will. And when you are charging a relatively high price - there is, justifiably, expectations of quality above and beyond. OF is failing terribly by the nature of problems users are encountering. The applications I work on are licensed for six figure amounts PER YEAR. If there were problems like this then I'd be out of a job.

First develop an application that DESERVES $20 and then claim that a lot of work went into developing it. And see if users buy your premise that other developers selling software are not hard workers or working for a pittance. You are free to charge any amount you want but when other developers provide a complete 360 degree GTD app for half your price, who do you think would pay twice? GL with that :)

Last edited by Anjan; 2008-07-28 at 11:36 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjan View Post
I hate making direct contradiction to claims but Ken you are waaay off the mark to claim Omnifocus as the top productivity app. I see that listed at #23. The following substitute apps (can be possibly used instead of OF except it doesn't sync with Desktop OF) are ahead of you -
  1. YouNote (Free)
  2. Evernote (Free)
  3. Evernote (Free)
  4. Zenbe Lists (Free)
  5. To Do (Free)
  6. reQall (Free)
  7. DoBot Todos (Free)
  8. EasyTask Manager (Free)
Point to note here is that apparently you failed to see (or comprehend) the string "best-selling" in Ken's text. Gee, what a surprise, people will download things that are free! If I was looking for an iPhone app of some sort, of course I would download all the free apps that I came across that looked at all promising. BFD.

Quote:
First develop an application that DESERVES $20 and then claim that a lot of work went into developing it. And see if users buy your premise that other developers selling software are not hard workers or working for a pittance. You are free to charge any amount you want but when other developers provide a complete 360 degree GTD app for half your price, who do you think would pay twice? GL with that :)
By similar reasoning, I take it the applications you work on are the cheapest option in the space? Why would anyone be so stupid to pay more than they had to?

Hard to understand how cisco books so much revenue selling all that gear for so much more than the competition. Don't you IT guys know about the free router software you can run on old PCs?

I'm reminded of Oscar Wilde's definition of a cynic: "he knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Point to note here is that apparently you failed to see (or comprehend) the string "best-selling" in Ken's text. Gee, what a surprise, people will download things that are free! If I was looking for an iPhone app of some sort, of course I would download all the free apps that I came across that looked at all promising. BFD.
Wild guess - you must have a blog somewhere. The coherence and logic are awe inspiring!:rolleyes: While you go back and check into the definition of cheap versus fairly priced, I will stop responding to this thread because the conversation is drawing sophomoric ruminations. I could care less if you wanna pay a BMW price for a Hyundai but Brownian pattern of thought just annoys the hell out of me.

Thank you and have a good day.