The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best practices for linking files to OF ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
when i drag a file into OF is it creating a link to the doc on my hard drive ? or actually "copy" the data to the OF database ?

If you drag the file, and get the cursor of a curved arrow outlined in white as you do so, OmniFocus makes a link (by recording the path to the file, so if the file moves, the link is broken). The link will be synced to other OmniFocus clients, but unless the same path works from all of the clients, you won't be able to view the attachment from any but the one where you linked.

If you hold down the option key while dragging, and get a cursor with a green circle and a white +, a copy is made and embedded in the database. It will be synced, and any client should be able to show it. However, you shouldn't try to edit it, as your changes will be lost unless you reattach it.

Embedding sufficiently large files or large numbers of files will have an impact on performance at some point. Use the Attachments List window under the Windows menu to see the files you've embedded, and regularly prune the ones you no longer need.

Thanks for the tip !

Related to this, a while back I noticed my OF backups were very large (> 20MB). This turned out to be the effect of embedded attachments. When I used the Attachements List window to delete a number of unused attachments, the backup file size shrank considerably as did my sync time for OF on my iPhone. At this point I use links to files instead of embedding.