The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Folders should expand when focused Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Actually, after further testing, I don't think it's a bug. The expanded/collapsed state for new "focus windows" seems to be based on the preserved window state save by OmniFocus.

OmniFocus saves the current window layout whenever you quit the app (i.e. dimensions, position, collapse/expand state, view bar settings, toolbar state, etc.) and is reloaded whenever you launch the app again. This window state is also used for new windows you open with Command-N or by double-clicking a sidebar folder to open a new "focus window".

So any folder whose state is preserved as expanded gets displayed as expanded when you double-click on it. And the opposite is true for any folder whose state was preserved as closed.

If a folder's state is preserved as collapsed, and you expand the folder and then double-click it to open it in a new "focus window", it'll still appear collapsed in the new window because that's the state that OmniFocus has saved for it.

I'm not sure this does what lukexi wanted, but the behavior is sensible enough that I don't think it's a bug.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-15 at 11:26 AM..

Haha, well, that ends up being close enough. Oddly, it only seems to save the frontmost window (?), so, I had to focus a folder, set it to expanded, quit while that focus window was frontmost, and then go to the next folder, one at a time. And now those folders default to opening expanded when double clicked.

A little weird, but I'll take it!

Thanks again Toadling

Glad I could help, lukexi.

I agree, it is a little weird. Maybe they should provide a "Save Default Window" option in one of the menus. At least that'd be easier than having to quit the whole app.

-Dennis