The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Row numbering and column sorting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hello all,
I'm very happy to have row numbering back in the sidebar. Thank you for that. Now for question:

I have a whole bunch of topics that are nicely numbered. I have now added a date column. I have added several dates to that column and I have now sorted the column by date. The row numbers are no longer in order. Should I wish to keep the items sorted by date, how would I go about resetting the row numbers so that they are in sequential order from start to finish and thus, match the dates?

Background: I am planning a semester's worth of classes and I am rearranging them to match certain dates. The row numbers have the custom reading "class #" followed by the automated numerical value via row numbering. Hence the desire to have the class is run in order. :-)

Thanks much, Scott

a related question. After sorting by a column, Is there a way to turn off sorting without it reverting back to its original sort? Why: once I have the half-dozen or so important dates in class meetings sorted, I would like to drag other class sessions to fit in between and then stay there.
I just tried that, but the item I would drag wouldn't stay put. The workaround is to start inserting dates. However, I feel this negates the beauty of being able to rearrange the outline with dragging items.

Just call me a troublemaker.
Thanks, Scott

The Keep Sort option in OO4 is non-destructive so you can sort, see how it looks, and turn it off. There is still the Organize > Sort Outline option which is a destructive sort. So what you want to do is turn off Keep Sorted and use the Sort Outline option with the same conditions that you had for Keep Sorted. This will change the document order and your row labeling will be as you want it. It's a little odd you can't use Sort Outline for the same option Keep Sorted is set to, so I've filed a bug on that.