The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

User Control over Names of Tabs in Tab Drawer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In Safari, the name of the tabs are the shortened names given to the bookmarks by the user, so that the user can shorten the name of each tab to an essential identification, e.g. "Chase" "AmEx" etc.

I like the drawer concept for tabs in OmniWeb, but its benefits are somewhat defeated by the fact that the tabs ignore the shortened name assigned to the bookmark by the user, and instead use the original very long name, thus requiring that you mouse over each tab in order to identify it before choosing which one to click on. (I hope I am explaining this coherently.)

I would like to suggest that OmniWeb name the tabs in the tab drawer by whatever (shortened) name the user gives each bookmark, so that all the tabs in the drawer are easily discernible and identifiable at a glance, with no need to mouse over each one to read the long names.

Yeah, the current tab setup works best when you're viewing them graphically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Yeah, the current tab setup works best when you're viewing them graphically.
A good point, but I don't think that fully addresses the problem, as the graphic view takes up way, way too much space (at least on my MacBook display) by displaying thumbnails of each entire page, forcing me to scroll up and down to see all tabs in a drawer, and still does not give the user control over what part of the website's name to display.

The control over naming bookmarks and tabs given to Safari users really ought to be made available to
OmniWeb users in the latter's ingenious and unique tab drawer display, which seems well-suited for this added convenience.

I had never noticed the feature you mentioned in Safari. I see it only works if you click on the bookmark to go to a given page. If you type in the URL, you get the page title.

I don't really use bookmarks that much, I tend to use Workspaces & tabs in their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I had never noticed the feature you mentioned in Safari. I see it only works if you click on the bookmark to go to a given page. If you type in the URL, you get the page title.

I don't really use bookmarks that much, I tend to use Workspaces & tabs in their place.
From Safari Help:

To bookmark a webpage, open the page, then choose Add Bookmark from the Bookmarks menu. You can also click the Add Bookmarks button in the address bar, if it's showing.
Type a name for the bookmark and choose where you want it to appear from the pop-up menu. You can add the bookmark to the bookmarks bar, the Bookmarks menu, or a collection of bookmarks.
To add a folder of bookmarks to the bar, open the Bookmarks Library and drag the icon for the folder to the bar. To open all the bookmarks in a folder in tabs when you click the name of the folder in the bookmarks bar, select the Auto-Click checkbox next to the folder.
If you select the Auto-Click checkbox for a folder in the bookmarks bar, then you can open all the bookmarks in the folder in tabs by clicking the folder name in the bookmarks bar.

What the Safari Help doesn't say is that when you create a set of tabs in Safari, it copies the name of each tab from the name you gave the bookmark; whereas OmniWeb disregards the shortened names you gave the bookmarks, and instead displays the l-o-n-g website name for the url, which is unhelpful when tab drawers are set to display as text. I'm simply suggesting that O/W use the names you chose for the bookmarks when displayed in a tab drawer.

I think there's been a misunderstanding. I totally get what you're saying, and did even before you posted the bit from Safari Help.