The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you manage multiple projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Add my vote to this one as well.

When using the workaround of consolidating multiple projects into one file and using 1st level groups, has anyone gotten useful HTML reports? Either they aren't designed for that or I'm doing something wrong.

What I am looking for ideally is a summary overview of each top level project which would include orig target complete date, revised complete date, and percent complete.

Anyone able to accomplish this with OmniPlan?

hi
I have held off omniplan because of the lack of multiple project overview, but had to do something recently and bought it. But, in reading the forum, it's clear that the multiple project issue has been 2-3 years promised! Really?

I know. The script has been available, but this is a remarkably slow development time for such an obvious and much-asked-for enhancement. Just sayin'.

Yes, it has been requested and promised for some time. You'll note that they've been careful to avoid specifying when it would be available except in terms of which release it might occupy, and they haven't broken any promises in this regard. It's a big piece of work, not just a few extra checkboxes here and there, and I think you would agree that one of the primary reasons for using Omni's software is that they try to make it better than average. Who knows how many internal designs have been prototyped in an effort to determine the Right Thing to build? There have been a number of other features requested over and over (repeating or split tasks, for example) that undoubtedly have consumed some of the resources.

They've also been busy fixing bugs and adding smaller features, as a look at the release notes will show. I think there has been a desire to "complete" the 1.x releases so that people who don't need the big features in 2.x won't have to buy it just to get some items intended for 1.x all along.

While multi-project support is obviously very important to people who have to manage multiple simultaneous projects, it is far from obvious that those people are the biggest part of the customer pool. I do think that building a tool that does a good job with single project management and extending it to do a good job with multi-project management is a better approach than building a tool that does a mediocre job of both from the outset, especially for the customers who don't need to manage several projects. Hopefully, everyone will agree the long gestation time was worth it!

And can you add mine too!! - master view would be fantastic as I am juggling multiple projects and an "overall" view would be great - particularly for reporting to my Board.

These posts are from 2007. I just bought the latest version 1.6.4. Is the multi-project feature in this release? I hope so! Help!

The thread started in 2007, but there are certainly more recent posts as well. The multi-project feature is not in the shipping software as of this writing. Aaron mentioned that they are looking at it for OP 2.0, which has been slated for release sometime in 2010, although with Omni's recently announced plans to bring most of their apps to the iPad in 2010, it might be prudent to read that as "late 2010, maybe early 2011" and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
This is a major feature and will probably be added somewhere in OmniPlan 2.0. As for when OmniPlan 2.0 will be released, it's way too early to tell and I can't throw out any sort of estimate at this time.
this was July 2007. Is there a timeline for 2.0?

JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPamplin View Post
this was July 2007. Is there a timeline for 2.0?

JP
Starting to seem like never.

Hi,

The link posted early on for the Applescript to import projects into a master project is no longer functional. Is this still available?

Thanks!