The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Scripting QuickEntry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, leave it to me to re-invent the wheel! From reading the forum, I got the impression that some folks were unable to get their scripts to work with Quick Entry all-together...?

But on re-reading Tim's posts (and the latest Message of the Day) it sounds like the new Clipping Services might eclipse all of this.

Has anyone gone with this approach yet?

Best,
-Adam

The Clipping Service only clips selected text and doesn't work with Mail Act-On. It's a partial solution, but doesn't handle quick, mouse-less inbox processing. I fully expect a solution from Omni that supersedes my own eventually. But the clipping service isn't it yet.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
If I activate before making the new task, then I get two tasks: the "foo" task added by the script and a new empty task.

If I add the task before activating, then the task pane in the QE window does not have focus. That necessitates a trip to the mouse in order to edit the new task.

Also, no joy in setting the context of the QE task.
The implicit task creation was a typo which I've now fixed. I've also added code to the 'activate' handler on QE to make the outline be focused if it (or a subview like an editor on the note) isn't already.

For the 'select' issue you noted, I messed up my example -- 'task' won't work, but 'inbox task' will.

Code:
tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell quick entry
		set MyInbox to make new inbox task with properties {name:"foo", note:"bar"}
		select {MyInbox}
		set note expanded of first selected tree to true
		activate -- Now that everything is in place, show it.
	end tell
end tell
This much is fixed in 92713. I'm looking into the issue with contexts now.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Also, no joy in setting the context of the QE task.
I failed to test this one, it looks like. Sorry! Bad developer, no biscuit!

You should be able to access contexts in 92715.

One thing to note is that QE clones the active projects and contexts from the document when it is activated. This means that until the QE panel is on screen, the contexts and projects array will be empty. If this is a major problem, send an enhancement request =)

Here is an updated script:

Code:
tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell quick entry

set MyInbox to make new inbox task with properties {name:"foo", note:"bar"}
		select {MyInbox}
		set note expanded of first selected tree to true

activate -- Most stuff in place; contexts aren't available until QE is on screen (they get cloned temporarily from the document at activation time)

try -- capture error if context doesn't exist
			set context of MyInbox to context "Mac"
		end try

end tell
end tell

Tim,

I noticed that you also fixed the bug in Clipping Services with Mail.

What would really be handy is if this behaved the same way that the "Reply To" function does in Mail. If you highlight part of the message, this is what gets quoted in the reply. But, if you don't highlight anything, then the entire message is attached by default.

In this way, users could have the option to either highlight, or just enjoy an entirely mouse-free clipping!

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

-Adam

Last edited by Adam Sneller; 2007-10-11 at 09:08 PM..

Thanks, Tim! I'll dig into this sometime this weekend.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sneller View Post
What would really be handy is if this behaved the same way that the "Reply To" function does in Mail. If you highlight part of the message, this is what gets quoted in the reply. But, if you don't highlight anything, then the entire message is attached by default.
Yeah, that would be a nice option, but Mail doesn't support services from the message list at the top. I need to suggest to the MailTags developer that he add this in (or we could add our own .mailbundle to fix this oversight). I've logged a Radar with Apple, so hopefully they'll fix it someday, but we'll probably need to do something about it sooner than that.

Of course on the pedantic side, I'd say that most mail messages are going to have more than one issue conflated and you'll need to split it up eventually. Otherwise you're just shuffling papers around aimlessly between inboxes =) Another approach when clipping a message via the message list would be to only clip the reference to the original and a link to the sender and then let you fill out the details -- perhaps you've visually identified the action and just want to type it up rather than go select it.

Anyway, lots of UI choices, as always.