The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
but some of these things seem like they intentionally didn't do them
Specifically, which things?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Specifically, which things?
- The UI is intentional, not a missing feature.

- Adding tasks via a tap and hold is a feature poorly implemented. 90% of what you do with OmniFocus is add/edit tasks to projects. Tapping a holding, or drilling down to focus on something in order to do that, isn't good design.

- The Views are the same as iPhone, meaning not powerful enough. I need a view (like desktop) that shows me all Active projects (not pending) and ANY task associated to them (sequential/parallel projects). Right now Available just gives the active projects, but only next task and Remaining shows all projects/tasks but also pending projects, which is clutter. The reason they are pending is because I don't want to see them yet.

BTW: I did find another nice feature, you can STAR any perspective and have it show up in your side bar. NICE. Now just a way to edit those.

Also it hangs WAY too much. From tap to tap can take 2-3 seconds to render. No good.

And just to let everyone know, yes I have sent this all to the mailing list (and Ken).

BZ
 
Here is my very quick (and no, I am no pro) at cleaning up the UI a little.

I think 95% of the problem is the floating projects on that wasted black background.

BZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omnifocus-ipad.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1504  
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
@ksrhee Tasks that are done all the time, that are repetitive and are the essence of the program (adding, editing, moving tasks on a project) should not be taps away. They should be easy, fast and intuitive.

The UI is ok, it has a lot to like and they focused on really making it iPad friendly, but they threw out some of what makes the desktop version so good, that it is very sparse and is all about the data. Not backgrounds, colors, icons. It is about projects, folders, tasks.

BZ
I'm all for making things easy for entries. If Omni can make things easier, then I'm all for it. The current way doesn't bother me as much - that's all.

Omni can't win in this one. The Mac version gets criticized so much for not "great looking" compared to Things for a long time.

So, I'm sure if Omni followed your suggestion, others will criticize Omni for not making it "pretty."

Perhaps Omni can provide options for differnt fonts, font sizes, background color, etc.

Then it will make most people happy.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Here is my very quick (and no, I am no pro) at cleaning up the UI a little.

I think 95% of the problem is the floating projects on that wasted black background.

BZ
Sorry, but I like the current way. This looks too busy for me.

Again, personal choice.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Sorry, but I like the current way. This looks too busy for me.

Again, personal choice.
Funny, because it is exactly the same view, just less black space. Not sure how that makes it busier.

I don't know about you, but I want my GTD software to keep me busy. :)

BZ
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I'm all for making things easy for entries. If Omni can make things easier, then I'm all for it. The current way doesn't bother me as much - that's all.

Omni can't win in this one. The Mac version gets criticized so much for not "great looking" compared to Things for a long time.

So, I'm sure if Omni followed your suggestion, others will criticize Omni for not making it "pretty."

Perhaps Omni can provide options for differnt fonts, font sizes, background color, etc.

Then it will make most people happy.
Right, so they always focused on function over form and that is why we use Omni products (I own all of them) because for us they are tools, not pictures.

I just think they got a little too "designy" in this last round and need to go back to the roots of "functiony" because that is their strength and what has made them successful.

If people want pretty, someone is always going to out-pretty Omni Group, but they have always won with function and features, ease of use and cutting to the core of the task and leaving out the bells and whistles.

BZ
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Right, so they always focused on function over form and that is why we use Omni products (I own all of them) because for us they are tools, not pictures.

I just think they got a little too "designy" in this last round and need to go back to the roots of "functiony" because that is their strength and what has made them successful.

If people want pretty, someone is always going to out-pretty Omni Group, but they have always won with function and features, ease of use and cutting to the core of the task and leaving out the bells and whistles.

BZ
I think Omni can do both . . .
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Here is my very quick (and no, I am no pro) at cleaning up the UI a little.

I think 95% of the problem is the floating projects on that wasted black background.
Honestly, I prefer it with the separation. It is similar to the layout the desktop has in a project view, albeit with a different background. I do not claim it is a design that is indisputably The One, but I think tiling the elements with no separation as you did is not an improvement to my eyes.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I just think they got a little too "designy" in this last round and need to go back to the roots of "functiony" because that is their strength and what has made them successful. BZ
I agree BZ, however what I do want is consistency, across all three versions. For what it's worth, see my comments in this link.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blog Post: A Little Weekly Review Goes a Long Way BwanaZulia Applying OmniFocus 2 2011-10-05 04:35 AM
long user profile squeezes user post eugene Forums Feedback 1 2006-04-06 06:53 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.