The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

port/sync to iPhone, Postbox or MobileMe Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to port my Outliner information to my iPhone - and edit on my iPhone?

New user here hoping to get up to speed. Thanks.

I use CarbonFin outliner. You have to export the OO document as OPML and then upload into CarbonFin, but it will give you the result you seek. Sort of clumsy, but until there's an OO app for iPhone, that's about it.
Anyone else?

hi. thanks very much. wonderful to get friendly competent help.

i think this app will be uber useful for a proposal i need to make. that said, is there any eta on iphone sync? i'm on the demo and importing all my scattered organizational text documents into Outliner but no easy access to iPhone is tough.

Can I also ask you a little more on the current methodology? I download the iPhone app for a couple of bucks to my iPhone, export the docs as OPML - and then I upload to a web based site that the app maintains, is that right? There is a login and my iPhone accesses the app wirelessly?

Lastly, is there a good method for getting back to Pages, or Word if I get everything organized in Outliner and decide I need to get back to Pages (either as a temporary measure or permanently)?

Thanks a ton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels22 View Post
hi. thanks very much. wonderful to get friendly competent help.

i think this app will be uber useful for a proposal i need to make. that said, is there any eta on iphone sync? i'm on the demo and importing all my scattered organizational text documents into Outliner but no easy access to iPhone is tough.

Can I also ask you a little more on the current methodology? I download the iPhone app for a couple of bucks to my iPhone, export the docs as OPML - and then I upload to a web based site that the app maintains, is that right? There is a login and my iPhone accesses the app wirelessly?

Lastly, is there a good method for getting back to Pages, or Word if I get everything organized in Outliner and decide I need to get back to Pages (either as a temporary measure or permanently)?

Thanks a ton...

That is correct. You set up a (free) account and then can access via wifi.
You can then download back to your mac as OPML or txt.
dax

Hi A.

Thanks very much for your help. Glad to know this app is free which makes things a bit easier.

I don't necessarily want to prolong this thread but I do want to make sure i have explored all options. For some reason Outliner will not export as a Pages document? But it will Export as Keynote (or MS Word HTML, whatever that will do for me).

Is there a way for me to Export as Keynote (for instance) and then simply save these Exports (along with the original Omni documents) Postbox (which is available to all my devices)?

I guess this is assuming I can read - and edit Keynote - on my iPhone, and then it assumes I can Open or Import the edited Keynote doc in Outliner. This would be a little more direct for me in some ways I think. Does that make sense to you?

Also, is the word that there is an Omni Outliner app coming to the iPhone (hopefully with a package deal with Omni for the laptop...).

Thanks.

The Pages application will not open OPML files, or OmniOutliner files. BUT you can export as a Word 2007 (docx) file, which Pages (09) will open, and in outliner mode will retain the outline hierarchy.

you can also export from Outliner as a keynote file (but the number of levels is limited to two i believe)

Last edited by kened; 2010-12-12 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: additions

Great info. Thanks a ton for keeping me on track.

Hopefully I'll get the rest of the sync together here shortly.

Also, just a quick mention on how fantastic it is to get great help on a forum such as this with no backwash.

Hi Kened.

I just tried an export as .docx and when I open this in Pages I see that it has lost a column worth of data. I just checked this in two documents and it is the same.

Can you help or can someone advise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels22 View Post
I just tried an export as .docx and when I open this in Pages I see that it has lost a column worth of data.
The .docx data model doesn't support multiple columns.

.opml does, however.

Hi Rob.

Can I please follow up with you on this a little late? I am not sure I got good information from Omni on this but am also going to follow up with them.

Is opml the /only/ export that retains all the data? Do you know if anything on the Mac works well with opml?

Ideally I would like to get something into Pages or something similar but I realize this may not be possible. It seems odd not to be able to export into something a little more convenient.

I guess this is how they make sure you buy and keep your Omni license?

Regards,

Jon