The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Selectively disabling violations Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
First, some rough background information... My office is moving to a new building sometime probably in November, but there is likely to be schedule slippage in either direction before then. My superiors want me to find software that will let them schedule and manage all the tasks required for the move; if possible, they want to be able to view the tasks in terms of relative date where "day zero" is pinned to the day of the move, and tasks would be laid out both before (negative days) and after (positive days) that moving date.

When using OmniPlan, you're able to set a project that uses an unspecified start date and measure in T+ and T- days, which is almost exactly what they're looking for; however, because T-zero is defined as being the project start date, the software throws constraint violations any time a task is scheduled before T-zero.

Is there any way to selectively disable certain classes of violations, and simply say I don't care that constraint is violated, continue operating as normal? In this case, to allow tasks to be scheduled earlier than the project start date (since in this case, we'd be using T-zero to represent a milestone in the middle of the project, not the project start)?

No, T-zero is pretty much defined to be the project start date and there's no way to disable violations. In think in your case I would recommend just representing that milestone as a good old fashioned milestone and let it fall on T-WhereItMay.

Since moving day is really fixed but you don't know when, I suspect you will be wanting to schedule from that milestone back in time with some tasks taking place as late as possible. At present, OmniPlan is focused on shortening the project only from the end. Scheduling as late as possible given other constraints is something we hope to add. Given that, I think I would suggest _not_ putting start/end constraints or a fixed date on the milestone for now.

-Tom