The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Copy a list of items and make them separate items in OF? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I received an email with a grocery list - the following is an example

Mushrooms (sliced ones)
Frozen veggies
Fresh spinach
salt, sugar
pepper
curry powder, cayenne or chili powder

I want to insert every item in the grocery list above into separate items into OF

So every line is 1 item and I want to make that one item each in OF to add to my grocery list.

Any suggestions on how to do it?

I think if you have an action selected (but not editing — i.e. you clicked on the bullet point to select it) and then paste in the list it will come out as individual actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I think if you have an action selected (but not editing — i.e. you clicked on the bullet point to select it) and then paste in the list it will come out as individual actions.
Tried but it gives me an error that says

Unable to paste using type “Apple HTML pasteboard type”.

Invalid destination location

Are you able to post into the notes field of an action? From there you should be able to copy and paste the whole block as Lucas suggested to get an action per row. I've never seen the error you mentioned and did spend a few minutes copying and pasting everything in sight trying to get it to happen. I do think that if you can successfully paste into the notes field you'll be able to then copy the notes field and paste as new rows. If not, try pasting into TextEdit and converting to Plain Text via Format->Make Plain Text. You don't get to keep any formatting when pasting into row names, so you aren't losing out by doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Are you able to post into the notes field of an action? From there you should be able to copy and paste the whole block as Lucas suggested to get an action per row. I've never seen the error you mentioned and did spend a few minutes copying and pasting everything in sight trying to get it to happen. I do think that if you can successfully paste into the notes field you'll be able to then copy the notes field and paste as new rows. If not, try pasting into TextEdit and converting to Plain Text via Format->Make Plain Text. You don't get to keep any formatting when pasting into row names, so you aren't losing out by doing that.
Yes! whpalmer4 that is awesome! I did paste it into the notes field and then do what Lucas suggested and it is all well now :)

Many thanks! That should make my life a lot easier today!