The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why is a group in a sequential project available? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'm new to OF, and trying to set up my first complex project. My intention is that a few steps (1-3) must be completed in sequence, then a few more can be completed in parallel (4-6), and then a final few can be completed in sequence (7-9).

I made the project sequential, added 1-3, and then put 4-6 in a parallel group, which group sits below 1-3. Then I added 7-9 below that group.

When I filter for "available" actions, the group (and its first action, if I click its disclosure triangle) show up. It seems that OF doesn't realize this whole group becomes relevant only after I complete 1-3. Is there some way to fix this?

Thanks!

Can you post a screen shot? I'm not seeing the behavior you describe when I try to replicate your setup.

One thing to note is that if you have a more restrictive view set up and you add some actions which would not normally be shown in that view, they will appear until you change the view. For example, if you are viewing a project and showing only Next Actions, you should have only one action shown. However, if you then add an action to that project in that window, the additional action will remain in view even though it may not be the true next action for that project. Doing the Edit->Clean Up command will update the view. It does sound a bit like you might have the project and the group switched around on the parallel/sequential setting, but a picture should probably clear things up.

Thanks for the reply. I'm embarrassed to admit that I managed to confuse myself. Somehow, the project got set back to parallel, and as it happens, all actions (except for 1 and 4) had futures start dates. So those two showed as available, fooling me into thinking that OF was missing the sequential nature of the project. Sorry to have wasted your time!