The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Command-N Binding Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just sent feedback to OG, but I thought I'd see if others agree with me as well.

I think that creating a new action is a much more common task than opening a new window, so I would say the simpler (less fingers) shortcut should be for new action, not new window.

Thoughts?

I totally agree !

Well, cmd-n usually opens a new window in most apps I use. In fact, I've used cmd-n in OF to get a second window without thinking whether this would in fact open a window - i just expected it. I'll admit it's not something I do often, certainly not anywhere near as often as I create a new action.

I find myself always hitting Return to create a new action, so I'd probably vote to retain the Cmd-N command for new windows.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the new window camp too. Cmd-N is pretty much hardwired to mean new window to me these days so I'd rather it stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahir View Post
I think that creating a new action is a much more common task than opening a new window, so I would say the simpler (less fingers) shortcut should be for new action, not new window.
As others have mentioned, you can press Return to add an action (which is even simpler than Command-N). Does that help?

+1 for leaving the Command-N key for opening windows

Consistency is king and while I don't like the Command-Shift-Control-N combination any more than the next guy, I think Mac applications should follow the user interface guidelines as strictly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrei View Post
+1 for leaving the Command-N key for opening windows

Consistency is king
Context over consistency!

http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch0...onsistency.php