The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request - Table Creation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use OmniOutliner primarily for taking notes in law school.

I frequently find myself wanting to have a simple table discussing pros/cons or comparing things. Currently there is no way to insert one in OO.

I can jump over to another program, create the table, and attach it, but this is a pain. I can also create a different OO document with a series of columns and have some table elements, but it's not the same as they span the entire document. I feel as though this is probably pretty common.

I'd love if OO 4.0 had the ability to create a simple table.

I also use OO for law school and would love to see this feature added.

I second this request! What I have to do now is, creating a table in word, then take a screenshot of the table, and finally copy this screenshot into OO:

Last edited by raro; 2009-06-04 at 03:57 AM..

I'm also a law student and would love to see this feature added! My 1L professors used tables a lot to compare elements between uniform statute, state statute, common law, etc. I agree that it's pretty inconvenient mid-lecture to create a table in Word and then paste it in. Not only is this difficult to do when your professor is going through the material quickly and not putting it on the board, but it also creates extra steps if you need to go back and change something in the table.

And speaking of trying to get stuff down quickly, I would love the equivalent of Word's auto-correct (which I believe is possible through Snow Leopard's "substitutions" feature). I'm still using Leopard, but having auto-correct would more than motivate me to upgrade to SL and the latest version of OOP.

I would like that too.
I'm sitting here loving OO when putting together notes from a meeting. Everything works lika a charm untill I am about to make a table of elected board-members.

/regards David S, Sweden

Maybe supporting the basic table creation features built-in to Mac OS X's text views (NSTextView) would be sufficient?

This might also bring a variety of other handy text manipulation features, such as formatted lists, text completion, vertical/column selections with Option-drag, non-contiguous selections with Command-click, etc. To try these out, play around with TextEdit or any other app that uses Mac OS X's built-in text view.

Maybe adding the built-in functionality would be less overall work for Omni than building their own support for this feature.

I made a similar request for OmniFocus a couple years ago:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10327

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-03-02 at 08:18 AM..