The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pausing some actions under a single actions list pauses the whole single actions list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I paused some actions that are listed under a single actions list, there appeared a pause sign on the icon for that single action list, and nothing under that list showed up as available. (However other actions on that list are not paused either)

Why? What's the purpose of this? When I pause some single actions under a general list of single actions, what I wish to achieve is to put those on hold (without changing their contexts), and continue working on other actions on that list.

How did you pause them? Future start date or assigning a context that is on hold are the only two options that come to mind, and they do not affect the other items in the SAL (except those in the same sequential action group, of course). Sounds like you put the SAL on hold...

When I tried to recreate it, I realised I did something wrong. In my perspective for "available", I selected some actions from the SAL, hit inspector, then the project tab (instead of context tab), and changed status to "on hold".

However, I encountered another problem when pausing those actions by changing their context status. Now their contexts and their entire actions are on hold.

Of course... What else could've happened?.. When you select something and change the status of its project, you change the status of its project, and when you change the context status of it, you change the context status.

I guess I was expecting for OF to somehow provide a way for pausing some non-sequential actions without pausing anything else. Is there a way? Or am I simply trying to do something unnecessary; something that is achievable by doing something else?

And, what about the review options on OF for iPad? It shows drop, pause, complete, etc buttons for each action. What does it actually change when we pause an action during review?

Last edited by zdlo; 2012-08-27 at 04:46 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdlo View Post
However, I encountered another problem when pausing those actions by changing their context status. Now their contexts and their entire actions are on hold.
Well, yes, if you put the context on hold, all of its actions will be on hold. The idea is that if you have a context for a place you won't be going, you can put all actions for that context on hold at once by setting the context on hold. So, all of the tasks relating to your summer home in Antarctica can be put on hold except for the month you are going to be there :-)

Quote:
I guess I was expecting for OF to somehow provide a way for pausing some non-sequential actions without pausing anything else. Is there a way? Or am I simply trying to do something unnecessary; something that is achievable by doing something else?
You can pause individual actions and action groups by putting a future start date on them, as I said. The next major version of OmniFocus is supposed to rework the object data model so that individual actions can be put on hold, dropped, etc. Don't forget to breathe occasionally while waiting for the announcement that it is ready to ship :-)
Quote:
And, what about the review options on OF for iPad? It shows drop, pause, complete, etc buttons for each action. What does it actually change when we pause an action during review?
Those buttons are for the project.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The next major version of OmniFocus is supposed to rework the object data model so that individual actions can be put on hold, dropped, etc.
This is really good news, as a future start date is cumbersome, and for me, rather beside the point. I have single actions I have delegated to contractors or staff, or things I'm waiting for from colleagues — I want to just use "On Hold" to indicate Waiting so that I can keep their "Agenda : Brunhilde" context (which makes it easier for me to review with the designated contractor/staffer. I was using a Project called Waiting, but didn't really like disconnecting the action from its Project.

Does this issue resonate for others, or am I missing something?

Personally I use a few "Waiting" contexts:
- waiting for dev team
- waiting for client decision / po / etc.
- waiting for other action to be completed
and so on.

Those are usually for actions that get assigned / reviewed and I use a few contexts like that so I can see "what do I have to possibly follow up on" across projects, and keep the actions in their respective projects.