The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HELP! Looking for autosave backup location for unsaved file. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

My Mac crashed this morning while working on an unsaved document in OmniGraffle. My preferences indicate that autosave is turned on but I haven't been able to find a backup. Does anyone know how best to retrieve the file?

I'm using OmniGraffle 4.1.2 on a Mac running 10.4.10.

Thanks for any help.

In Graffle 4.1.2, the autosave information is placed in the resource fork of the file itself, so if it hasn't been saved yet, there's no autosave.

In Graffle 4.2 and later, the autosave file gets saved outside of the file, if the file hasn't been saved the autosave goes to the last save location.

I'd encourage you to go get OmniGraffle 4.2.1, and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Bummer... Thanks for the quick response though. I'll upgrade today.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm using OmniGraffle Pro 5.2.3 and I have the same problem: Untitled drawings don't get autosaved anywhere (that I can find anyway).

Is there any way to recover a document I haven't ever saved after a system crash?

You should be able to find the file at ~/Library/Autosave Information/.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

I found a file in ~/Library/Autosave Information but unfortunately it was an autosave of a test document I created after the one I really wanted. It seems there is only ever one backup file in that folder. I managed to restore the original Autosave Information from Time Machine, but it would be nice if each unnamed document could be given a unique temporary name so they don't overwrite each other.

Or even better, if Omnigraffle could automatically open the unnamed backup next time it starts up after a crash (like e.g. Textedit does) that would be more intuitive than poking around in ~/Library as well as preventing inadvertent overwriting by forcing you to notice unsaved unnamed documents from the last crash.

Quote:
Or even better, if Omnigraffle could automatically open the unnamed backup next time it starts up after a crash (like e.g. Textedit does) that would be more intuitive than poking around in ~/Library as well as preventing inadvertent overwriting by forcing you to notice unsaved unnamed documents from the last crash.
Even old OG 4.2.x does that. So there's something wrong at your end. Check your Preferences/Autosave are set the way you want.

Maybe you want OG to save all your Untitled docs for you, to the location you want them to go to. There's not much it can do if you do not save it (them, all) at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAsirvadem View Post
Even old OG 4.2.x does that. So there's something wrong at your end. Check your Preferences/Autosave are set the way you want.
The only preference related to autosave is: "Backup: [√] Automatically save a document backup every [±] 5 minutes." Nothing is mentioned about where it goes if the document has never been named.

I understand that OG will open an autosave of a named file but although an unnamed backup is stored in ~/Library/Autosave, it is not opened automatically and I don't see any option that changes that behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAsirvadem View Post
Maybe you want OG to save all your Untitled docs for you, to the location you want them to go to. There's not much it can do if you do not save it (them, all) at least once.
No, the standard location ~/Library/Autosave is fine, if that's the standard (Textedit uses it also), but I disagree that there's not much that can be done if the file has never been saved at least once. If the backup exists (and it does) why not follow the behavior of Textedit and open it as "Unnamed <n>" so I don't have to go looking for it. Looking for it is even harder because Spotlight does not look inside ~/Library by default. Worse still, if a new unnamed document is started, the backup is blown away the first time the new document is autosaved! Okay you might take the stance that I was dumb to spend more than 5 minutes drawing without saving the first time but then why have the autosave feature that only works properly after the first save? That's not user friendly behavior.