The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Some OmniFocus Scripts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I posted some OmniFocus scripts in various threads on the forum. I decided to put these on a web page for easier updates. The scripts include:
  • one to generate OF projects from selected OmniOutliner items;
  • one to generate new OF projects from template projects, complete with replacing placeholders and setting dates; and
  • a pair to create OF actions from Mail messages and to jump from the actions back to the message.

You can download all the scripts from my software downloads page. If you find the scripts useful you can subscribe to my RSS feed to be notified when I post updates.

Cheers,

Curt

I just realized that my RSS feed was pointing to my development server on my localhost. Sorry if you tried the feed and had problems. It should be fixed now.

thanks for a great script...the only thing that is a bit annoying is the painful 'link back to mail message'...hopefully you can fix this?

thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspectrum
thanks for a great script...the only thing that is a bit annoying is the painful 'link back to mail message'...hopefully you can fix this?
Do you mean "painfully slow"?

I've gone about as far down that road as I can. We'll have to wait for Apple to fix Mail.app's scripting interface. For now, using the Mail Act-On rules with archiving, as detailed in the included instructions, is your best bet until Leopard is released (or Omni bakes mail links into OmniFocus).

Cheers,

Curt

the scripts are very helpful. thanks. I'm not sure how to open a url from inside Omnifocus. It is a cut and past to safari or does it have a link? thanks

Connie,

I assume you're talking about the Send URL from Safari script?

I currently open the actions note, select the URL, right-click the URL, and choose Open Link. I'll plan to eventually integrate the scripts so a single Follow Link script will look at the note field, decide where to jump (Mail, Safari, ...), and then jump there. It'll be awhile before I get to that though. Lots of home improvement projects in the hopper right now.

Curt

Isn't there a way to uniquely Id a message, and link back to it more efficiently ? it seems that the "set theMessage to the first message of theMailbox whose message id is theMessageID" is very inefficient (is the slowness from it ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isam
Isn't there a way to uniquely Id a message, and link back to it more efficiently ? it seems that the "set theMessage to the first message of theMailbox whose message id is theMessageID" is very inefficient (is the slowness from it ?)
Yes, that is the source of the slowness. And yes, there is a way to uniquely ID the message, but only with MailTags installed. Apple does not provide script-based access to arbitrary messages by ID. Trust me on this, I've spent many hours trying various work-arounds. Mail.app's AppleScript interface sucks eggs. The "engineers" who built it should be embarrassed.

MailTags costs $29.95. That will buy you fast opening of arbitrary messages by ID, plus a bunch of nice meta-data facilities for Mail.app. Unfortunately, MailTags's fast opening feature does not display messages within their threads. They open in separate windows.

I've personally decided that MailTags is worth the investment. Future versions of my OmniFocus-Mail scripts will require MailTags for link-back. (The previous version without MailTags will also remain available for the foreseeable future.)

Curt

From Today's "Message of the Day":
- MailTags' message urls are now automatically recognized in notes.

I hope this will be a big boost for using MailTags with OF

Quote:
Originally Posted by isam
From Today's "Message of the Day":
- MailTags' message urls are now automatically recognized in notes.

I hope this will be a big boost for using MailTags with OF
I think so.

I posted new versions of my scripts last night that use MailTags. (We're replacing a domain server today—Sat., July 14—so the link may only work sporadically.)

Curt