The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping track of notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I hope it is ok to post a request like this here.

I'm wondering what you use to keep track of notes. Before Omnifocus, I used some PC software called EPIM, or Essential PIM. It had 4 main areas:

- contacts
- To Do list
- Calendar
- Notes

I did like the fact that all those things were in one area. However, Omnifocus is SO-OO good that I'm willing to go without that.

One thing I do miss, though, is the ability to keep track of misc things in the notes area.

For example, if I price carpeting in March, I can keep my notes there. I can keep track of a hundred other misc things and easily search them.

Could any of you recommend your favorite way to do things like this?

Leila

Hi Leila, I found a very interesting script tying OF with DevonThink which is a very robust document management system. Basically, the script creates a folder in DevonThink based on the project structure in OF and automatically opens this folder for document addition. Someone described it as having OF look after the verbs and DevonThink look after the nouns of your GTD system. I have been using it for about a month now and I have found it to be a real game changer. Here is the link to the forum discussion

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...0931#post60931

Paul

Leila,

This topic is a popular one on the forums. If you go to the top-level OmniFocus forum and search for "reference material" you'll find a bunch of information on different approaches. Personally I tend to use the note field of projects in OF for small, active projects and separate Finder folders and OmniOutliner documents for bigger or more tentative projects.

Curt