The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.7 sneaky peeks have begun! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by refulgentis View Post
*love* the new look and feel -- definitely an improvement. My only question is about the Available counts -- they seem to be really remaining counts, in the sense that actions in a sequential project are all counted.
Yeah, it's really Remaining.

Of course if was actually Available it'd always just say "1", which might be misleading for how much effort is really remaining on that project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Yeah, it's really Remaining.

Of course if was actually Available it'd always just say "1", which might be misleading for how much effort is really remaining on that project.
I set defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge count but I am only seeing "1" next to all of my projects. Doesn't seem to be counting remaining, just available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdevore View Post
I set defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge count but I am only seeing "1" next to all of my projects. Doesn't seem to be counting remaining, just available.
There is a reason this is still in the "experimental" section :)

Do you think having it show Available or Remaining makes more sense? (Regardless of what its doing now)

Available for sequential projects is really kind of pointless. It can only show at the max 1 which gives you no sense as to how much work is left on a project. If you are trying to show wether a sequential project has any available actions in it then some other sort of visual display might be more appropriate (a green icon, maybe a different color for the background of the project in the list, I don't know). But have a number 1 there doesn't seem to really make sense. It gives the impression that there is just one more thing to do.

You really have to ask, what is it you want to communicate?

1. How much work is left on a project, or
2. Does this project have an action that is available right now?

Both things would be really useful but they are very different pieces of information.

What would be really great is to filter the project list so only those projects with available actions are displayed. Then I can just focus on what I can do now, instead of seeing projects that can't currently work on because they don't have an available action.

BTW - right now there is no live updating of this number. If I go in and add a new action to a project that has no available actions the number doesn't appear to the right. I have to refresh the project list somehow to get it to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdevore View Post
What would be really great is to filter the project list so only those projects with available actions are displayed. Then I can just focus on what I can do now, instead of seeing projects that can't currently work on because they don't have an available action.
Can't this be achieved by setting the view bar's project list filter (i.e. the menu above the sidebar) to available? I'm not in front of my Mac right now to verify.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
There is a reason this is still in the "experimental" section :)

Do you think having it show Available or Remaining makes more sense? (Regardless of what its doing now)
My $2*10^-2: available makes sense in context mode, as it provides a good direction when you're choosing a context to work in. 6 things in my Errand context available? Maybe I should head out. 10 things to do on the internet? Stay on the computer. 4 things in reading? Time to hit the books.

There's definitely a good point that remaining makes more sense in project mode.

Apart from all perspectives vanishing (I can live with that)

Was doing some stuff and OF got stuck on my flagged perspective. I could click on all the other perspectives in the toolbar but it just wouldn't budge. Had to reboot.

Also

Just tried dragging an item into a parent to create a sub list - it turned it into an attachment / note and underlined it, at the same time underlining almost every single todo in my database, while making the writing smaller. I've just looked through the styles panel and underlined / smaller isn't even an option.

I'm in a complete mess now!

Update: I just clicked 'reset styles' and it put it back to normal. Weird.

Last edited by BevvyB; 2009-08-17 at 03:37 AM..

I found that the perspectives buttons in the toolbar don't work for me in 1.7, but going to the menu did -- it just seemed like I was stuck because the Inbox, Due, Flagged, etc. buttons didn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I found that the perspectives buttons in the toolbar don't work for me in 1.7, but going to the menu did -- it just seemed like I was stuck because the Inbox, Due, Flagged, etc. buttons didn't do anything.
I've had my share of challenges with perspectives and 1.7 (more so with the first 2 SP releases), but I've yet to encounter a problem with perspective buttons in the tool bar. The 5 default perspectives and my custom perspectives have all worked as expected when activated with a toolbar icon.

I am not a big fan of the new fonts. It makes me feel like I am using a Windows program rather than a Mac's :).

What was the original font?