The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Checklists, revisited Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have seen requests for checklist functionality earlier. Since checklists can be very long, they tend to clutter your workflow if you use OF actions for that purpose, so today I attach them from other formats. Obviously, that will never work on my OF for iPhone. Sometimes I therefore spell the checklist out as text in the note field, which is not an elegant option either. So, here is the short version of a suggestion I sent support a while ago on how to do it. Comments are most welcome:

Groups/projects can be set in respectively Parallel/Sequential mode. My suggestion is to add a checklist mode as a third option.

How to create them:

Like "Parallel" and "Sequential" is now: Choose from existing mode column the new option "Check-list". Or in Inspector as a third category after "Type:". An additional menu command could also be created.

How should checklist items behave:

Inbox: Never included in inbox count. Only parent should count.
Sync with ical: Nope, only parent.
Show in "No context": No
Show as due: Only parent
Show in context view: Only parent. Checklist items to show only when clicking parent's handle (they don't have one in context view today, I know...

So: No due dates, no time estimates, no context. Only check box, notes, attachments, completed date, changed date.

What do you think?

Regards,

Arild

Great idea. I made the same suggestion a long time ago. This was also one of the features I think they were considering for OF 1.8 or 2.0, but don't quote me on this. I've seen threads on shopping lists with quite good work-arounds, but to be integrated in the way you describe it would be azing, cause these check lists do clutter up your workflow! I guess this would be similar to templates too.

While we're at it.. When will you be able to put single actions on hold in OF?! I thought they mentioned it around the same time. Must be all the work they're putting into the iPad that postponed this all.

Please don't hold out on all these great features Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1702 View Post
While we're at it.. When will you be able to put single actions on hold in OF?! I thought they mentioned it around the same time. Must be all the work they're putting into the iPad that postponed this all.

Please don't hold out on all these great features Omni.
Individual actions on hold is a 2.0 feature, always has been...

Thanks whpalmer. Also checklists? Can you also tell me when OF 2.0 is out? Now that would be so much more of a beautiful answer ;)

Last edited by Robbie1702; 2010-04-22 at 10:53 AM..

If I knew the answers to those questions, I would have answered them...

Actually, individual actions on hold would be doing a lot for the checklist behaviour I described above. I tried to create checklist items by adding sub-tasks that were on hold (in 1.8 SP), and it almost works, apart from the fact that the group header does not appear in perspectives filtered to only display available items. So: As long as the group header does not fall through the cracks in context view, individual "on holds" would be a great step forward.

My solution for this today is clumsy, but it works: I have one task with a link in the note field to my "On hold" checklist's group header. All items under this group header has an "On hold"-context; "Check list item":
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilde 2.png
Views:	895
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1441

This actually works for the iPhone too, but a more intuitive solution would of course be much appreciated...