The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Renaming 'overdue' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The overdue function does my head in... Especially now it offers the choice of [too late, to my thinking] notifications....

What I'd love is to be able to rename it 'Due', treat it as such... And then set 'due soon' to include tasks due within in the next 7 days, so it can be a kind of Tickler... Does anyone know if that's possible?

Last edited by Fiona; 2010-12-07 at 12:30 PM..

I believe we have a feature request open on additional Due Soon options; it would be worthwhile to email our support ninjas and ask to be attached to that request. (Ditto for the option to get deadline alerts farther in advance.)

It's not possible to rename that list, though, and I think we're unlikely to add that. Arbitrarily renaming the column would cause documentation, localization, and support issues, at the very least. You could certainly duplicate the built in perspective and modify that, if there's a different view you would prefer...

Fiona, are you talking about the Overdue item on the main screen of the iPhone/iPod touch app?

If you want a perspective that shows you upcoming due items, I would suggest you set Due Soon to 7 days (or whatever value works for you, there's nothing magic about it), and in OmniFocus for Mac create a context mode perspective grouping by due date, sorting by due date, showing remaining actions, due soon. You'll see everything that is due in 7 days or less (or already due). Be sure to turn on the option on the settings page for the iPhone app to enable Perspectives.

I find it useful to set up a similar perspective grouping and sorting by start date, showing remaining actions of any status, with all of the groups except for yesterday, today, and tomorrow closed. I use that as my tickler, and try to knock off most of the tasks that appear there. For particularly important items that do need to be done by some specific date, I'll add a due date as well as a start date, but it is relaxing to knock things off as they become available, before they have a chance to join the list of things that must be done or else. If I can do everything on the due list, make some progress on the tickler list, and knock off a few items from the flagged list (items not necessarily starting today or due today, but needing near-term attention), I'll have kept any fires from breaking out and my backlog from growing too much, and that's a day I'll call at least a moderate success.

Thanks both of you.. @Brian, I had submitted the overdue notification change as a feature request, but will have a think about how my other needs might possibly be met as well before I submit more...

@whpalmer4.... You know, I think you described your tickler perspective elsewhere on this forum, didn't you?.. and I already have that in place! :-) I find that some of the additional perspectives (apart form the default ones) don't always translate too well to the iPhone though.... i.e. I currently have TWO additional perspectives lists on my iPhone... Not by design.... That seems to have happened during some sync within the last 24 hrs... Some are also showing backwards... Which is a bit odd.. Anyway.. I'm not sure I trust how they are translating to the iPhone.. If you use iPhone too, does your come out Ok?

Thanks for the help...