The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

can perspectives save search bar content? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Would it be an improvement to have the search bar contents also saved when saving a perspective?

A frequently used search could thereby be saved. But what's more, if the perspective had an empty search bar saved with it, that too would be reproduced when recalling the perspective. As it stands now, if I am searching for something, and then open a perspective, my search still limits the view, which feels counterintuitive to me.

[send via formal feedback]

I'll second Chris' request.

I'm currently looking through the past messages to see if something like this exists, but I'd really like a saved perspective to only show a particular context (e.g. all the things I have to @Decide) regardless of project. Right now when I try to do this (click on a context in the OF window, create a new perspective), the context setting isn't maintained.

I'm not sure if that's the way it's supposed to work, or just not implemented yet--since Perspectives are very much a work in progress. Still, if that wasn't possible, the search filter option would accomplish something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcroberts View Post
I'll second Chris' request.

I'm currently looking through the past messages to see if something like this exists, but I'd really like a saved perspective to only show a particular context (e.g. all the things I have to @Decide) regardless of project. Right now when I try to do this (click on a context in the OF window, create a new perspective), the context setting isn't maintained.
Not restoring selected contexts is a recent regression. If you switch to Project view, then open the saved Context View perspective, the selected contexts are set.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Would it be an improvement to have the search bar contents also saved when saving a perspective?
As of this evening's builds, perspectives save search bar content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Not restoring selected contexts is a recent regression.
This regression should be fixed: I think the bug only applied to inactive contexts. If you're still seeing problems with restoring the sidebar selection, please let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
This regression should be fixed: I think the bug only applied to inactive contexts. If you're still seeing problems with restoring the sidebar selection, please let us know!
I'm afraid not. With the latest build, my stored selected contexts are only restored when I apply a Context View perspective from within Planning View. I tried re-saving the perspective, but still no dice.

Curt

Curt, are you still experiencing this? I can't seem to reproduce this, but if you can, I'd like to write up a bug. Do you have steps to reproduce? Sorry for the trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebot View Post
Curt, are you still experiencing this? I can't seem to reproduce this, but if you can, I'd like to write up a bug. Do you have steps to reproduce? Sorry for the trouble!
Sometime in the past week this was fixed. Thanks!

Curt

Two perspectives enhancements I'd like to see:

(1) Saving the expand/collapse state (with the option of specifying expand all new/collapse all new so new projects would be automatically taken care of)

(2) Indicating in the Perspectives palette the selected contexts, search query phrase, and (if state were added) the expand collapse state

Also, a more explicit Edit Perspective would be clearer, although I realize you can change the settings and save over.