The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick Look & File Icons Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm just getting my first view of omnioutliner 4 and it looks really nice. I like the new layout of the sidebar and the zoom feature is really good.

I'm not a fan of apples grey icon colour scheme and notice that oo4 is now a drab grey as well. I really don't get how a lack of colour is supposed to be better and aid a UI. Coloured icons are much more intuitive in my mind and make it much easier to navigate the UI when you can quickly pick out the coloured icon from the bunch.

I've also noticed since installing oo4 that when using the finder the omnioutliner data files are now missing their icons and Quick Look no longer works. I don't know if this is a feature still not added or if its a bug or not, but it is a feature I used all the time in OO3 so I thought I should mention it just incase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

I'm not a fan of apples grey icon colour scheme and notice that oo4 is now a drab grey as well. I really don't get how a lack of colour is supposed to be better and aid a UI. Coloured icons are much more intuitive in my mind and make it much easier to navigate the UI when you can quickly pick out the coloured icon from the bunch.
Amen, brother! No color, no text, and underwhelming icon design — a trifecta! I haven't seen any toolbar icons in 10.8 that I would hold up as a example of how this change improves the user experience, so this is not a problem limited to Omni's offerings, and this post should not be construed as an attack on same, just wishing they hadn't chosen to follow Apple's lead ofF this particular cliff. While the emperor does have new clothes, he is not nearly stylish enough to pull off the gray on gray look, and ought to have his personal stylist reassigned to somewhere where an appreciation of color might develop.