The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new sync to iPod script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks, Rod, it worked. I can now see all actions, not just the "next" ones.

However, I'd rather not see the actions I've already completed! I know you're headed out for a well-deserved vacation, but I hope sometime you can take a look at the option of showing just "available" actions.

Your quick, helpful responses are very appreciated.

David

Hard coding my iPod name into the script seems to have fixed the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderbrother View Post
Thanks, Rod, it worked. I can now see all actions, not just the "next" ones. However, I'd rather not see the actions I've already completed!
Hi David,

Having a quick look at the script, I would say you should be able to change line 135 to:

Code:
if (completed of firstTask is false) then
    set nextAction to true
else
    set nextAction to false
end if
I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seeeeeems to work for me. :)

I've made one other modification to my copy of the script. I've replaced line 148:
Code:
set fileContent to "[" & projectName & "]" & return & note of firstTask
with:
Code:
if (note of firstTask is missing value) then
	set fileContent to "[" & projectName & "]" & return & name of firstTask
else
	set fileContent to "[" & projectName & "]" & return & name of firstTask & return & note of firstTask
end if
This achieves two things:
1) It now just doesn't print a value if an action has no note (instead of printing 'missing value')
2) The names of my actions weren't fitting on my iPod's screen (I'm using a Nano), so I've made it write the name of the action inside each action, as well (where I can read it).

Hope that's useful to someone! :)

Thanks, frosty, for advising me how to change line 135. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I think I'll use "blocked" instead of "completed" - that should give me only available actions rather than all remaining actions. I'll report back if it doesn't work as expected.

--David

One correction to my last post. THIS is what seems to work for syncing only available actions. Replace line 135 with this:

Code:
if (completed of firstTask is false) and (blocked of firstTask is false) then
    set nextAction to true
else
    set nextAction to false
end if
This is one of my first forays into AppleScript, and it's fun (when I have the time).

--David

This script looks great, but I haven't been able to make it work. Whenever I try it, I get a "stack overflow" error, even when I comment out the "createProjectFilesOrFolders(topLevelProjectsAndFo lders, projectsPath)" line. I have 3 levels of nested contexts, so I assume that's at least part of what's causing it?

I'm pretty new to Applescript, but I may tinker with the script somewhat this weekend, unless someone has already implemented what I'm looking for. Has anyone found a way to target just certain contexts (I only need two of them on my iPod) and thus remove the recursion inherent in loading up all those nested contexts?

The script is great. I also can't get it to work completely.

I get a "stack overflow". It stops on "replace_chars(this_text, firstItem, "_")".

When I check the iPod the Projects folder seems complete but the Contexts folder is empty.

I have made some modification to the script. I will try to put it online this weekend and have a look at the overflow problem.

Targetting context should be fairly easy. I will have a look at that too.

Rod

Hi.

First of all I really want to thank for the script because it was really what I was looking for.. the ipod is with me almost all the time and so I can have my project/context overview at hand anytime..

but still I have a question: due to the recent (weird and widely discussed) division of NEXT and AVAILABLE actions I need to be able to export not only the NEXT actions but all of the AVAILABLE actions.. the above mentioned change in the script exports ALL the actions - including those already finished..

would there be a way to go around this??

thanks a lot!!