The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problems w/Repeating Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm confused about how repeating tasks are supposed to work vs what I am seeing. The manual and even the threads here are not very helpful with the difference between setting repeating at the project level vs at the task. Here is the example I have that is causing me problems.

I have a task Trim Horse Feet
There are two actions under that task, Call the farrier and make appointment (context phone), and actually trim the feet (context outside with help). It's set as a sequential project because I can't do the trimming until I've called and made the appointment. I have the project set to repeat 8 weeks after completion. I have a due date for the first instance of today and the start date was 2 weeks ago. When I made the phone call I marked that task done. That was maybe a week ago or so. I also then marked the trimming done today. I expected that I would get a new set of tasks 8 weeks from now but instead in the context view the actions are showing up in red as if they are overdue but with dates 8 weeks in the future. I would expect them to not even be available until the 2 weeks before due based on start and due dates I set originally.

I have tried to both set the start and due dates on each action and only on the project but I can't seem to get it to work as expected.

I have ended up with duplicate actions, dates all over the place and had to delete everything and start over but it's still not working right.

Is there any documentation that give more details about the interaction between start and due dates and repeating times that will explain this behavior and how can I get it to work properly?